NY chicken lover!!!!

Here's more photos of these unknown bantam chicks. They are about 10 days old.

They're Old English Game Bantams. I'm not sure which color, but you'll be able to tell that as they feather in more.

They're Old English Game Bantams. I'm not sure which color, but you'll be able to tell that as they feather in more.

Thank you. I'm really enjoying this new adventure. So many entertaining little personalities coming from these little peeps.

Where you been? I've considered blue to add to my Del frizzle hens.  My hens look dirty sort of, but ti's red from their great, great, great grandmother Frenchy.  All my frizzles come from her.  I wonder if she'll brood again this year. Last year it was twice. She was eight then and nine now.  None of her offspring went broody. You got an Mottled?  

I have been doing a lot of woodworking lately and putting in a lot of hours at work. I have 4 Mottled, 2 are frizzle, and I also have a pair of Buff columbian hens but they are truthfully aren't the greatest Cochin quality. I'm gonna cross them with my Mottled though and hopefully create a solid Mille Fleur Cochin project but that is a long long road. It's pretty much starting from scratch. I'm trying to get everything I had a few years ago but I find it's tough starting over in chickens when you want what you had and let go. I like adding blue to my birds though, I think that you always will end up with neat offspring.

So being a new chick mom and knowing its stupid cold tonight (-25 wind chill) I can't sleep....its chilly in here to me.... Check on chicks.... Had to add another heat lamp.... As the one ain't enough.... And swab heinys.... When I checked on the round 10 they were fine.... Now 11 out of 15 starting and in pastybutt.... ***....so... Now I'm hoping we are good til am... Dunno if I'll be able to sleep cuz now I'm all paranoid. And come to read (apparently I should of done more research (even though apparently 10pm-3am for three weeks on here and other sites reading all I can wasn't enough and taking notes ) I should have looked up more on pasty butt) I didn't know chicks from hatcheries needed probiotics.... Now feeling like I failed my babies....

Last edited:
So being a new chick mom and knowing its stupid cold tonight (-25 wind chill) I can't sleep....its chilly in here to me.... Check on chicks.... Had to add another heat lamp.... As the one ain't enough.... And swab heinys.... When I checked on the round 10 they were fine.... Now 11 out of 15 starting and in pastybutt.... ***....so... Now I'm hoping we are good til am... Dunno if I'll be able to sleep cuz now I'm all paranoid. And come to read (apparently I should of done more research (even though apparently 10pm-3am for three weeks on here and other sites reading all I can wasn't enough and taking notes ) I should have looked up more on pasty butt) I didn't know chicks from hatcheries needed probiotics.... Now feeling like I failed my babies....

Hatchery chicks don't need probiotics. They can help give them a boost after the ordeal of shipping, but they are not necessary. You didn't fail your chicks.

You didn't fail the chicks - some get it - prone more from shipping at an early age is what I think ... just wipe 'em up and keep going.

Sounds to me like you are fussing actually too much - You can fuss certain to death or bad behavior. All my adults are outside and fine - other than not enjoying walking on the snow - they are milling about waiting for breakfast and not looking affected at all ... and one side of my coop is completely hard wire and open ... one whole side ... and it's been that way for years .... the fresh air but wind break has kept my flock very healthy over the years. Of course, I feed them well and extra in this extreme cold. I'm going to scatter some scratch right now :)

You don't want to get carried away and over do things like I have done. Watch the temp with those 250 heat bulbs or you'll cook your chicks. Just give them commercial starter and water and that will be enough. Shipped chicks do get pasty butt from the stress of travel so that is not on you. It's just the way life is. DO NOT add things to their water they don't need. The industry is in it for the money, selling this and that. Just feed and water.

I wish you well,

I thought there might be a loss of chicks and ducks what with the accident of the postal truck on 481 yesterday, but I doubt the news would report it if it had. TSC did get a shipment of BO's and others. No new ducks though.

I am freezing my butt off. Well fingers. EE's did lay three eggs yesterday. I may set them even though I didn't collect them til late. Eggs are so cold I wonder if they'll be damaged.

Last edited:
I thought there might be a loss of chicks and ducks what with the accident of the postal truck on 481 yesterday, but I doubt the news would report it if it had. TSC did get a shipment of BO's and others. No new ducks though.

I am freezing my butt off. Well fingers.  EE's did lay three eggs yesterday.  I may set them even though I didn't collect them til late.  Eggs are so cold I wonder if they'll be damaged. 

Where abouts on 481 cuz depending my FIL is in a fire department that covers part of it...

Back
Top Bottom