NY chicken lover!!!!

I'm looking for a new incubator. I've always used the still aired ones from tractor supply but I wanna get something better but I don't have any idea what to look for or at. I don't wanna spend a ton of money though either. Any suggestions?

HovaBator Deluxe Egg Incubator Combo Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XNVCIE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_JCUv25S6YgvkO

That is my suggestion. I have had great luck with mine so far.

I just bought a Pro Series 4250 at TSC. I haven't opened it yet. I've gotten mixed reviews either here or online. With the coupon of $10 off a $50 purchase cost $119. Coupons expires today. I haven't opened it yet. This one says "Farm Innovators" Not sure what it costs online but I think about the same as in store. $129.

I will set it up in my office just like I did with the Genesis 1588. Is this Pro Series as good as the Genesis? I don't know but I do know that incubating takes skill no mater what incubator you have. Some folks have good luck with the Still Airs.

I will buy a new Therm/Hygrometer to put inside anyhow. Sometimes it's not the loss of eggs that didn't hatch that bother me. It's the time I spent tending/watching and waiting. I figure it's a wasted month if I don't have a good hatch.

Forgot. TJ MAXX has a unit similar to this for $99. That's right $99! The Fayetteville store. Not the exact as pictured here but definitely worth the $99. I just have no where to put it. Keep in mind these store get whatever they get. They're not like TSC or other stores that carry the same brands and regular stuff so it's only at THIS store and when it's gone there won't be anymore.

master:WIT237.jpg

Stopped at TSC today to grab bedding and check out the chicks even tho I have a full coop and 3 brooders full...
1f440.png
1f423.png
Of course the poor little bantam mix bin had a bunch of pasty butts and dead chicks ugh!!! I did restrain and not being any home as I have sworn not to risk my healthy hatchlings from home
1f62b.png
But I felt awful and wanted to take them all!!!! Of course I notified the "chick person" that said they were all fine 10 min ago
1f644.png

Stopped at TSC today to grab bedding and check out the chicks even tho I have a full coop and 3 brooders full...
1f440.png
1f423.png
Of course the poor little bantam mix bin had a bunch of pasty butts and dead chicks ugh!!! I did restrain and not being any home as I have sworn not to risk my healthy hatchlings from home
1f62b.png
But I felt awful and wanted to take them all!!!! Of course I notified the "chick person" that said they were all fine 10 min ago
1f644.png

The "chick people" there have no idea how to take care of chicks. Last time I was in there I had to explain to an employee what a heat lamp was as I was trying to buy one because the tag fell off and he had no idea what to tell the other people he needed a price check on.

They should make them have mandatory training on these guys before they are allowed to sell them, but of course that'll never happen.

Forgot. TJ MAXX has a unit similar to this for $99. That's right $99! The Fayetteville store. Not the exact as pictured here but definitely worth the $99. I just have no where to put it. Keep in mind these store get whatever they get. They're not like TSC or other stores that carry the same brands and regular stuff so it's only at THIS store and when it's gone there won't be anymore.

master:WIT237.jpg

Not to be a 'negative Nellie', but check and see where the wood is from. I did an article on cheap coops and several people had got ones that were made from Chinese wood. They warped, split etc. within a year and who knows what chemicals have been applied......caveat emptor
sad.png

Question folks. Anyone know how to stop pasty butt? On of the week old chicks i got yesterday has it. I've cleaned her up several times and her poor bottom looks so raw. Her vent is popped out like a bump. She eats and drinks well but keeps getting pasty butt.

Question folks. Anyone know how to stop pasty butt? On of the week old chicks i got yesterday has it. I've cleaned her up several times and her poor bottom looks so raw. Her vent is popped out like a bump. She eats and drinks well but keeps getting pasty butt.

It's caused by unstable temps. If you had them shipped in or got them from a feed store that also had them shipped in, it's really common. Feed store care isn't the greatest and they probably didn't have the temps right. A few days of nice, steady temperatures and it should clear up. Until then you'll just have to keep after it.

Try giving them a cabbage.  They like it and it keeps them entertained pecking it to pieces for hours.  It may give the hen a break as they have something else to vent their urge to peck on.

Our ladies love cabbage! I just gave them a few today to get them out of the coop for a bit.
It's usually on sale this week too! (For St Pats day)

Well well well. I was in TSC a little but ago and started talking to a nice lady that was in the chicken isle. Had a good convo with her along with my wife. She told me about the ag way in Pulaski that had chick days going on. Said they had barred rocks. Guess who has 6 new barred rock chicks now? Yep. That's me. Haha.

I managed to go to TSC to pick up feed today and not buy chicks, but if they had Barred Rocks I would have been very tempted! I never got the knack for picking the ladies though. I ended up with 2/3 cockerels last time.

Back
Top Bottom