NY chicken lover!!!!

I managed to go to TSC to pick up feed today and not buy chicks, but if they had Barred Rocks I would have been very tempted! I never got the knack for picking the ladies though. I ended up with 2/3 cockerels last time.

I was in TSC today in Fulton after church looking at the bantem chicks they had were in bad shape. Bad pasty butt. Most of the LF chicks looked ok though. Not a good selection though. I've got enough chicks now anyway. Just grabbed some dog food and headed home.

I will buy a new Therm/Hygrometer to put inside anyhow. Sometimes it's not the loss of eggs that didn't hatch that bother me. It's the time I spent tending/watching and waiting.  I figure it's a wasted month if I don't have a good hatch. 

I felt the same way last year when I didn't have a single chick hatch from shipped BCM eggs. I was disappointed that I spent a month carefully checking the incubator several times a day.

I managed to go to TSC to pick up feed today and not buy chicks, but if they had Barred Rocks I would have been very tempted! I never got the knack for picking the ladies though. I ended up with 2/3 cockerels last time.

I got lucky and got two as some of my surprise pullets in an order I just received. I'm glad to have them, I missed having some barred rocks around. If they get them in at TSC I might try my hand at sexing them and get a few more; I'm usually pretty good at it with the hatchery ones. Ones from good lines can be harder to visually sex.

Last edited:
I was in TSC today in Fulton after church looking at the bantem chicks they had were in bad shape. Bad pasty butt. Most of the LF chicks looked ok though. Not a good selection though. I've got enough chicks now anyway. Just grabbed some dog food and headed home.

Seeing the chicks, it's very tempting. I also have a soft spot for animals in poor condition. I probably would have taken them home, even though I don't need/want any more bantams. (I'm hoping that some silkie eggs arrive this week)
Our TSC people seem to do an okay job, but it's a small store and the same employees have been there for years.

While I can appreciate chicks sales and all that, I prefer to either hatch my own or let my hens do the job. Keeping a close flock is best for me.

Got two cute little Lop ear bunnies today. Had DD go and pic them up. Two girls. One brown and one black. Traded four dozen eggs for them. Well they were free but I gave him the eggs anyhow. I like to keep my friends, like my books. Where I can always find them but seldom use them. I don't expect they'll stay in this plastic bin very long though. Walmart does have a bigger one though. They're in my office right now.

Please spring hurry up. Not that I don't want them inside.

Not to be a 'negative Nellie', but check and see where the wood is from. I did an article on cheap coops and several people had got ones that were made from Chinese wood. They warped, split etc. within a year and who knows what chemicals have been applied......caveat emptor
sad.png
I hear you. If I were to have one it would have to be inside a covered area like the chicken run. Or garage. A predator would make short work of it for sure. In the UK they're touting plastic coops, but I wonder how warm they are in the winter. Plastic is a great conductor of heat and cold. Too plastic "off gases" and gets brittle. So are nothing beats a good wooden coop. Well my hoops are good but I do have to change the tarps each year.

Question folks. Anyone know how to stop pasty butt? On of the week old chicks i got yesterday has it. I've cleaned her up several times and her poor bottom looks so raw. Her vent is popped out like a bump. She eats and drinks well but keeps getting pasty butt.
Originally Posted by Gramma Chick

I guess you didnt see this ?

From my chicken Medicine File -For Pasty Butt
A blocked vent is sometimes due to temperature fluctuations suffered by young chicks or more fragile breeds and can be due to stress. There may be other causes, as well. With young chicks, check the temperature in your brooder to ensure it is not fluctuating significantly.

A blocked vent is fatal if not taken care of quickly. A chick suffering pasty butt must be checked on throughout the day and will probably need treatment several times a day for several days.
Treatment:

Clean use a damp rag to remove poo from vent. If the poo is hard, you can soak the chicks bottom in a dish of warm water or put the chicks bottom under warm running water to help remove it.

Dry thoroughly dry the chick. Leaving a chick wet can reduce its immunity and leave it vulnerable to illness or infection.

Olive Oil on the vent once the chick is dry, use a Q-tip to gently apply olive oil around the vent to help prevent poos from sticking too hard.

Apple Cider Vinegar several BYCers add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar to drinking water to
prevent or reduce the severity of pasty butt.
If you have ACV with mother it is best ..if you dont just use the regular stuff

Last edited:
When I see this I educate them ..I tlked to a manager in Clay ..Last time I was there .
It is the Manager that is Responsible For making the chicks safe
TSC makes them watch a film about chicks ...But I swear some slept through it .

I got some Chickens from a friend today ...Cant wait to wear them

Does this mean others are looking for barred Rocks too ?
hens or Roos ?..I dont know their back Ground ..other than they come from a Amish Family
i may have some this or next month ..See what hatches

Eggs still going up 11 eggs today

Out of all the 15 chicks... Only one is now having issues.... She's getting round the clock care... Ugh... One tired Momma... We went to Syracuse yesterday so my sister too care of her. Hopefully it stops soon. All the rest seem to be doing well and happy.

Back
Top Bottom