NY chicken lover!!!!

Since I joined the Neighbors Club at Tractor Supply I get lots of emails from them, and sometimes coupons too. They're still really pushing their 'Chick Days' and today gave these 3 reasons why adding chicks in the fall is a good idea.... thought this group may be interested, (and made me wonder how the 'not chickens at all but turkeys' sold as chicks from Tractor Supply are growing up?)

Top Three Reasons to Add Chickens in the Fall
No matter when you raised your first batch of chicks, adding to your flock in the fall has some definite advantages over sticking to a strictly spring chick schedule. Spring is typically the focus for purchasing chicks, but seasoned chicken owners know growing your flock in the fall can bring big benefits. Some of these include:

1. Early layers. Pullets that mature during the dark of winter are ready for egg laying when most breeders are just getting started with chicks. This means you'll have no interruption in egg production. Chickens reach point-of-lay at around 20 weeks of age depending on the breed, so chicks hatched in the fall will be laying eggs in very early spring. Also, pullets hatched in the fall will be more mature when they start to lay in the spring, so their eggs will be bigger.

2. Delayed molting. Chickens molt annually to grow a fresh set of feathers before winter. The exact timing of the molt is based on a chicken's breed, age and the season. But all chickens delay their molt until they've laid a certain amount of eggs, and then egg production stops until the molt is over. Fall flocks have feathers that are still fresh and healthy in the spring, and since they don't molt until after they are a year old, egg production isn't interrupted in the summer.

3. Spring pest control. Starting a fall flock means pullets are ready for pest control as soon as insects begin hatching, crawling and flying in the spring. Chickens are avid bug eaters and can greatly reduce the number of ticks, mosquitos, spiders, grubs and a host of other pests, giving you a virtually bug-free yard all summer.

Check out Tractor Supply’s full line of poultry products, including brooders, coops, feed, supplements and more!
Thanks for posting ..
I see this as a I can sell chicks in the fall and make money too thing ..LOL
3 reasons why adding chicks in the spring is a good idea...
1 E L) Spring chicks are already laying by winter
2 M) Chickens rarely molt and stop laying their 1st year .
3. Spc ) spring chicks eat bugs too all summer
I have had a fall hatch and the babies werent really mature enough for me when winter came ..and they will go outside here ..Also i separate chicks and adults ..and want them all one flock before winter comes. (in the fall i need the baby coop for bedding for the winter so it has to be empty
20151202_145846.jpg IMG_20131115_152620.jpg

Great to see them enjoying the grass, those little tail tip feathers coming in look so cute, can you tell yet if they are the breed you thought they were?

Well, there aren't very many breeds of solid white turkeys, and since TSC is getting all their chicks from Hoover's Hatchery and they only sell BB Whites and BB Bronzes, I'm pretty much positive these guys are definitely BB whites.

Thanks for posting ..
I see this as a I can sell chicks in the fall and make money too thing ..LOL
3 reasons why adding chicks in the spring is a good idea...
1 E L) Spring chicks are already laying by winter
2 M) Chickens rarely molt and stop laying their 1st year .
3. Spc ) spring chicks eat bugs too all summer
I have had a fall hatch and the babies werent really mature enough for me when winter came ..and they will go outside here ..Also i separate chicks and adults ..and want them all one flock before winter comes. (in the fall i need the baby coop for bedding for the winter so it has to be empty
View attachment 1515610 View attachment 1515611

Yes, I didn't post it because I believed it, just thought their 'selling angle' was interesting. Keeping chicks separate to give them starter feed, not the rest of the flocks layers pellets, therefore having separate housing, then wondering if they are big enough to stay warm in an early cold snap just seems like a way to generate a lot more work for the winter!

I mentioned the idea from a previous post of yours just yesterday to a friend, about keeping the fall leaves for winter bedding. Have been doing that for a few years now. I took some small dead stems off my lavender bushes, and instead of the compost bin, they went into the tote where I'll store the leaves for the winter bedding.

The buds I dry out inside the house, and make into lavender bags to make my clothing drawers and yarn baskets smell lovely, and stay moth free!

Lav stem and branch.jpg

Well, there aren't very many breeds of solid white turkeys, and since TSC is getting all their chicks from Hoover's Hatchery and they only sell BB Whites and BB Bronzes, I'm pretty much positive these guys are definitely BB whites.
Well, they look great, just been looking at some turkey footage over at @myfivegirls Paradise in Disguise Hobby Farm Facebook page, putting on displays, and appearing at the door to the house, hoping for treats. I have no experience with turkeys, but they really seem like great characters!

Well, they look great, just been looking at some turkey footage over at @myfivegirls Paradise in Disguise Hobby Farm Facebook page, putting on displays, and appearing at the door to the house, hoping for treats. I have no experience with turkeys, but they really seem like great characters!

These two are great. I worry about them though because their breed is the turkey equivalent of a cornish cross. Don't know how long they'll live :(

Yes, I didn't post it because I believed it, just thought their 'selling angle' was interesting. Keeping chicks separate to give them starter feed, not the rest of the flocks layers pellets, therefore having separate housing, then wondering if they are big enough to stay warm in an early cold snap just seems like a way to generate a lot more work for the winter!

I mentioned the idea from a previous post of yours just yesterday to a friend, about keeping the fall leaves for winter bedding. Have been doing that for a few years now. I took some small dead stems off my lavender bushes, and instead of the compost bin, they went into the tote where I'll store the leaves for the winter bedding.

The buds I dry out inside the house, and make into lavender bags to make my clothing drawers and yarn baskets smell lovely, and stay moth free!

View attachment 1516102
SUPER idea. My lavender plant is old and not as large. Need to
get a new plant. Thanks for the idea for the coop. Aria

Hello everyone! It’s been a very long time. I’m not even going to try and catch up on what I missed. Hope everyone is well. What a terribly wet summer we had.

We finally bought a house. Only 3.2 acres but with fruit trees. I can’t wait to garden! Of coarse I couldn’t wait to get chickens again so I bid $30 a dozen of some of Greenfire 55 flowery hens and won. Now I will have chicks arriving next week. I better get started on that coop. It’s ok though hubby is now working for himself so he has a more flexible schedule to help me get it done.

We also adopted a mastiff. He’s a pretty relaxed guy, I hope he’s good with the chickens. Our new home is in PA but not far so I will stick with this group if you all don’t mind.

I missed you guys!!

Back
Top Bottom