NY chicken lover!!!!

Darn it. I wish I could take some :( Unfortunately I have 27 chicks in the brooder right now so I don't think I have room for anymore...I would love to get the incubator up and running again if anybody wants me to hatch some for them
wink.png
I am happy to contribute to your chicken addiction.
Don't tempt me.

Mine get under the coop so I've hooked up a fishing net on a long 1x2 so I can get them. The first night it rained and I was down on my knees crawling to mud and poop. They don't have sense enough to go up the ramp and it was days to teach them.

D.gif

Hahahaha so sorry luckily my girls will just perch under something or during the rain LOL but the sand really makes a difference I broke a piece in their run so it leaked when it rained but it wasn't muddy or anything just slightly ****.

Many of these hybrids are the same but called different names. Red Stars, Tetra Tints, Black Stars, but all are Sex Links. Technically they are not a breed. Much cheaper to hatch and deal with than pure breeds cuz you don't need to pay anyone to sex chicks. They like most crosses lay better than pure breeds over the short period.

As long as you love them it doesn't matter imo.

Thoses mixes IMO are a decent starter bird, I bought six to start out with thinking that one or two would die because I was a little worried about TSC I don't know them well, plus raising other types of animals and reptiles I know how the odds work. But don't know everything is great here and every last girl survived and they are super friendly and sweet. They have no problem climbing all over you and they run up to you like an over friendly dog. I did buy other breeds from a breeder though. But I love all my girls regardless. Hell my dogs are mutts!

I have read that Lavender is supposed to help with mosquitoes. My sister is decorating with lavender plants for her (outdoor) wedding for that purpose. I'm not sure about black flies or anything else.

Also, I found this on craigslist this morning if anyone is interested. Finally an animal swap close to me!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/3793375023.html

I'm unsure about the lavender but if you can make sure that the area is pretty dry that helps. If you want to keep it natural the area would have to be treated a month before hand and on a weekly basis to ensure the bugs stay away, at least that is what I've heard.

This Swap sounds interesting, Be cool if someone had a young Jersey Giant that my son wanted.

Been too busy to catch up and there's 120 posts unread. I just have to skip them.
Blondie could not pick a nest and was being bothered by other hens, so last night I put up some fencing, a box on the floor and eggs in a nest so she would have her own quiet place to brood. She escaped her area and tonight she's roosting with everyone else. lol Oh well. I have enough chicks for now anyway.
Our latest tenants have moved out and left the other house trashed, yet again. We'll be spending most of the weekend there cleaning, but probably already have it rented again. Get this one... the oven they wanted to put in the house was too wide, so what did they do? Cut the cupboards, of course! They left behind a dumpster full of garbage in the house and we'll have to rip out floors and carpets. Here we go again.
I won't be around for at least a few days. Enjoy the weekend everyone!
Omg I hear so many post so little time! Good luck this weekend!

Darn it. I wish I could take some :( Unfortunately I have 27 chicks in the brooder right now so I don't think I have room for anymore...I would love to get the incubator up and running again if anybody wants me to hatch some for them
wink.png
I am happy to contribute to your chicken addiction.

I wish I could too but we got a lot going on and my son is wanting to get his Jersey Giant so I'm building him a special addition to our coop for that one when we get it.

3 different broody's out yesterday with their lil ones... being chickens
big_smile.png

the 1st one has 8. She was out back behind my shop when I snapped this pic. I don't know how many the 2nd one has, and the 3rd is the infamous "Mama" with her 11 lil ones. There must really be some good stuff in this spot as Mama and her lil ones are digging for China every day here. Or maybe they are just digging for Asia trying to find Sumatra...the homeland
wink.png

Well, I finally fixed the broken chicken coop door. Now I have no longer have to worry about any little escape artists, I swear my Roo is one clever guy! I took my Great Dane to the vet for a simple visit this morning, maybe a few sutures for a split paw and some shots...45 minutes later I had a very uncooperative guy who now has to be sedated for sutures and my DH decided we'd get him neutered as well, rough morning for this Momma.

If Cass doesn't want him I think I'll take him off your hands. Papa Captain Morgan is rapidly becoming a nuisance, as he's starting to challenge us constantly, and I'm getting royally tired of his nonsense. He tried to fight me twice yesterday - when he pulled his crap the second time and tried to flog me, I went after him fully intending to introduce him to the Cone of Silence. However, they have about a quarter-acre to wander in when they aren't in the run, so I couldn't get my hands on him. Alan says he was following him around the other day as well - every time Alan turned around, the blasted bird was right there giving him the stinkeye. He's good to the hens, and does his job well, but the new trying-to-fight-the-humans business is right out. At two years I figure he's old enough for coq au vin, and I know that there are always roos available who aren't acting like macho jerks.
droolin.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732985/csu-chicken-state-university-large-fowl-sop/730

Clyde is #2 post 734. Also 732 but 734 has my comments.

Last edited:
Darn it. I wish I could take some :( Unfortunately I have 27 chicks in the brooder right now so I don't think I have room for anymore...I would love to get the incubator up and running again if anybody wants me to hatch some for them ;)  I am happy to contribute to your chicken addiction.

I don't need chicks but how about turkeys only a few days longer in brooder. I swear can't find turkeys just eggs. Then again I don't know when turkey chick season is. I may be going in with a guy at my kids school in late June for some chicks he's ordering.

Yeah rancher your thinking they could come pick them they're selves. But you know they would pull a whole vine instead of just the been pods. Or oh watermelon when is really a pumpkin lol. Good ideas on who to donate I didn't think trash man or teachers and we don't get the paper. I think we have a little food pantry type thing in town to help people out if they need for I'm going to see about there also.

Jlaw

Morning All,
No work for me today!!
woot.gif
However I do have a lot of cleaning to do, my parents are coming up for the weekend. We didn't tell the kids either so they have no idea, they'll be pretty excited. I'm hoping I get a call today from the feed store saying the ducklings are in. She told me chicks were coming in on the 8th and ducklings the 10th. I am sooooo anxious to get these things I don't think I can wait another day!
fl.gif

Hope everyone enjoys their Friday!!! It's beautiful out, I'll be finishing up Crate #2 today for my rabbit after I return from the dreaded grocery store! Probably won't be online too much this weekend so I hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

3 different broody's out yesterday with their lil ones... being chickens
big_smile.png

the 1st one has 8. She was out back behind my shop when I snapped this pic. I don't know how many the 2nd one has, and the 3rd is the infamous "Mama" with her 11 lil ones. There must really be some good stuff in this spot as Mama and her lil ones are digging for China every day here. Or maybe they are just digging for Asia trying to find Sumatra...the homeland
wink.png

OMG they are beautiful! I hope next spring I will have some good mommies. I Got to silkies and I welsummer purposely for their broodiness and looks! The rest of my girls are for looks and eggs. But my Partridge silkie has been laying like a pro trying to keep up with my Barred rock LOL.

OMG they are beautiful! I hope next spring I will have some good mommies. I Got to silkies and I welsummer purposely for their broodiness and looks! The rest of my girls are for looks and eggs. But my Partridge silkie has been laying like a pro trying to keep up with my Barred rock LOL.
lately I have been selling 4 to 6 dozen Sumatra hatching eggs a week and 10 to 15 dz Sumatra eating eggs a week. Plus they are broody fools
wink.png
. So much in fact I no longer incubate. 5 more Sumatra girls sitting on eggs now, 4 raising lil ones, a BO on duck eggs and a Runner duck on her eggs.
big_smile.png
. And the year is young

Back
Top Bottom