NY chicken lover!!!!

We have deer netting over the run, and it works very well. The only problem we've had is the blasted squirrels chewing holes in it occasionally. However, the squirrels are now avoiding the run, as the Khakis gang-rush them and terrify them. Guard ducks!

The past couple months I've been concerned over my buckeye hens because they are naked.  I couldn't figure out why.  I increased protein (scrambled eggs and cat food) and saw new feather growth but it didn't last.  Well I've been watching closer spending more time down to the barn.  That darn rooster besides riding them is plucking them too.  I've seen him now on quite a few occasions just reach over and yank feathers.  :mad:   DH has been saying that we need to downsize and reduce projects.  He's decided to sell his blue silver ameraucana and now I'm deciding to sell the buckeyes after watching the roo misbehave.  I think DH is looking to sell the 2 splash maran hens after the first weekend in June also and just stick with the normal golden cuckoo marans.

One of the BRs I recently got looked like she had been thru a lot from a roo! The other one not so much but I know this lady had at three Roos in with her flock. The sides of her back, parts of her wings and a little bit on the back of her head all look like they had been plucked. They seem to be growing in but like you said, I haven't seen much growth since ingot her a couple of weeks ago. :-(

Alright I tried uploading a pic from my phone twice now to show her feathering and it's not working. What the heck....
Lets try this one....this is her taking her 4pm nap at the back of the house...

There we go!

And this one finally worked!

The access for the waterers keep getting smaller and smaller and they still manage to make a mess!! Lol

I KNOW!! And they also like to stick their head in the hole and shake the jug around and beat the sides of the brooder box with it. Good times. So glad they are outside now.
After they started shaking the jug, I changed to a butter tub with a rock in it with crescents cut in the top. The rock made it so they couldn't shake it.

Framac, I was under the impression that if they threatened livlihood that was different. Sadly, I see i was misinformed. Tented deer netting sounds promising... I still wouldn't mind shooting them but if it's against the law, well, I am law abiding so I'll follow. I suppose I'm just angry and sad about it all...
Hawks are a real problem around me, so I have researched "the law" carefully. You cannot kill hawks without a permit. Encon will issue permits to shoot hawks that are attacking livestock. Personally I don't want to bring anything to the attention of the authorities so I put out corn (away from the chickens) for the crows. Crows are a great deterrent. You can make a lot of noise to scare them away. I do that. I pound on the front of my gas grill (a piece of decorative metal underneath, actually) with a metal scoop and yell and scream. My neighbor fired a shotgun at the Red
Tail that has been decimating our flocks. I haven't seen it since. He DID NOT hit the bird, on purpose, but he did put the fear of God in it. I also yell "HAWK". The chickens seem to take that as my "distress call" and all run for cover. I have always said I am the Alpha roo.

I hope Featherz weighs in on the overhead wires. She did that to one of her runs, but I don't recall the outcome.

I've fired a roman candle and a BB gun at the hawk that was a regular here to scare it. I haven't seen one on premise since. I have seen hawks along the roads near my house so I know there could still be an issue someday.

I have some chicks for sale if anyone is interested. Australorps, D'Uccle, mystery mix, $2 each. Also have 6 Red-Golden and 2 Melanistic Pheasant chicks, they are $10 each. All hatched within the past 2 weeks. Will trade for anything cool too! Honey, syrup, veggie plants.

Last edited:
I have some chicks for sale if anyone is interested. Australorps, D'Uccle, mystery mix, $2 each. Also have 6 Red-Golden and 2 Melanistic Pheasant chicks, they are $10 each. All hatched within the past 2 weeks. Will trade for anything cool too! Honey, syrup, veggie plants.
your 4 legged kids are adorable
big_smile.png

Someday I'll take you up on some Pheasants. Not ready for them yet. Or the 4 legged kids . On the wish list
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom