NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote: You don't need NPIP to ship chickens. And you renew it every year.Its not a big deal, You make an appointment, she comes, you have the birds ready, helps if you have someone to help you, and they do up to 30 birds. She will need a table, where there is electricity, a glass of water. You grab a bird, bring it to her, hold it while she pokes its vein & takes out the blood. wait a sec while she puts it on her testboard. She then puts a metal tag on its leg.Then the bird is taken away and you get another one, etc. I have my husband stand with her, I bring the chicken to him, he holds it, while I run to get the next bird, I take it to him, we switch birds, I go run for another one. Needless to say, you don't want to do it on a hot summer day. I prefer spring or fall. It has to be no colder than 45 degrees where she is or the test won't work. Its pretty fast. You'll get a paper with the info of each bird she tested.Then they send you a certificate in the mail. Thats it!

Are you sure she isn't broody? Silkies are like that, they just stop for no reason. Maybe up the protein for a week or so?

About the ducks, I want to be sure the KC are pure. That is why I didnt respond. Thanks anyhow.

You don't need NPIP to ship chickens. And you renew it every year.Its not a big deal, You make an appointment, she comes, you have the birds ready, helps if you have someone to help you, and they do up to 30 birds. She will need a table, where there is electricity, a glass of water. You grab a bird, bring it to her, hold it while she pokes its vein & takes out the blood. wait a sec while she puts it on her testboard. She then puts a metal tag on its leg.Then the bird is taken away and you get another one, etc. I have my husband stand with her, I bring the chicken to him, he holds it, while I run to get the next bird, I take it to him, we switch birds, I go run for another one. Needless to say, you don't want to do it on a hot summer day. I prefer spring or fall. It has to be no colder than 45 degrees where she is or the test won't work. Its pretty fast. You'll get a paper with the info of each bird she tested.Then they send you a certificate in the mail. Thats it!

Are you sure she isn't broody? Silkies are like that, they just stop for no reason. Maybe up the protein for a week or so?

About the ducks, I want to be sure the KC are pure. That is why I didnt respond. Thanks anyhow.

Ahhh so that would explain the metal band on my new silkies legs LOL Well thanks for the info. It's nice to know that I can still ship chicks if I ever need to if I'm not NPIP. I think for now I'll stick to hatching eggs until I get another bator and can hatch out more than 7 at a time. If the ducklings end up being mixed then I plan on separating the two breeds somehow so I can eventually have pure offspring. This batch was for testing purposes only to see if they were fertile.

Evening all. What a miserable day. Lots of rain and cold. On a happy note, I have pips in the bator. Should have a nice bunch hatched out soon. Looking forward to more babies! Came home to the brats having destroyed their brooder. Feeder was empty and turned over and waterers were almost empty. Nothing like the monsters having a party while chicken momma is working!

Lynzi---good idea to have someone else try hatching your eggs. It will tell you something about what is going on. When I let Eowyn hatch last year, she ignored a chick that wasnt walking right. It had a problem with its feet. I decided to let nature run its course and the chick did die that night. Sometimes these things happen. Not sure what the symptoms of mg are as I have never encountered it.

Marquisella--congrats on the new babies! Of course this means pictures....hint hint.

Do you have pictures? Is she having eye or nasal discharge or is it more like she got pecked in the eye?

No eye or nasal discharge and acts normal.

Ahhh so that would explain the metal band on my new silkies legs LOL Well thanks for the info. It's nice to know that I can still ship chicks if I ever need to if I'm not NPIP. I think for now I'll stick to hatching eggs until I get another bator and can hatch out more than 7 at a time. If the ducklings end up being mixed then I plan on separating the two breeds somehow so I can eventually have pure offspring. This batch was for testing purposes only to see if they were fertile.

If you ever want to show your chickens, then you need NPIP. I figure if Little Girl is interested in showing when she is old enough, then I will close my flock and get certified.
I call dibs on the Brinsea if you ever decide to part with it. 7 egg limit is much less dangerous to morehens than the LG :D

Congrats! My four are doing great. Cookie, the oldest, has been in the house two weeks now and is sweetie. The others are coming up on one week and I think that's all the time in the house they'll get. They are adorable but they're getting stinky :sick They are the sweetest little things. The two ganders are shy and just little sweethearts, and the geese are outgoing and very affectionate. Post pictures when yours hatch! I know you are hoping for some color so fingers crossed! I hatched one blue saddleback and three white out of my eggs.

4 goslings, looks like 3 boys & 1 girl. They are still wet so I could be wrong. They are from my white Sebastapols. I don't have any coming from the saddle back for another 2 weeks, and she was bred by the white gander, so I don't expect color to be visible, but the goslings will be split to color.

Love goslings!! So stinking cute! Any pics available? Please & thank you!

If you ever want to show your chickens, then you need NPIP. I figure if Little Girl is interested in showing when she is old enough, then I will close my flock and get certified.
I call dibs on the Brinsea if you ever decide to part with it. 7 egg limit is much less dangerous to morehens than the LG
big_smile.png

It isn't hard to do NPIP...just a little time! I wanted to post here first I am selling my lavender flock...and a pair of Basque hens..the basque do have yellow legs and coloring is correct then lavender are beautiful! pics to come when I can figure out how to do it!

Back
Top Bottom