NY chicken lover!!!!

OMG my son has been hunting for one of those salamanders since we moved here over 3 years ago! The first year we were here my FIL told him that there are orange salamanders up here in these parts (I don't know how on earth he knows that) so he's been searching and searching. We do have those moths! We find them on our plants on out front porch in the morning. I'll have to show him these pics.
Do you know what kind of moth it is? This is the first time I've seen this kind.
We saw 4 of those salamanders...Red F's DH called them. It might be their breeding season...it might be the time to look
idunno.gif

I hope he finds some!

Last edited:
Visited a friend yesterday & helped her w chores. She's got several broody chickens & turkeys, one of each decided the hay rack was a good spot to sit:

She's got another hen who just hatched out a dozen chicks in the rabbit hutch. A little chaotic over there, lol.

Well I'm getting ready to move a couple of these girls to a private spot where no one can bother them and give them some EE and Del eggs. At least one that is cooler. I don't think the hoops are conducive to sitting.

You too?? Man, where should he be looking?? All we've been finding are snakes! Lol

Saw a big one the other day. He/she moved on and that's fine. I never kill snakes unless they challenge me.

Had one get caught in the hardware cloth inside the hoop coop last year. I tried to help it but it died stuck there. I was sad. They startle me but don't scare me to much.

Quote:
I kind of live in the woods so I see them a lot under trees or among the sticks and branches and stuff on the ground. I've almost stepped on them a few times.
Our property is surrounded by woods so maybe we'll go out today and hunt around since it's wet and mucky out there. Maybe we'll get lucky! ;-)

used to see those all the time in the woods growing up in vermont (the salamanders). They're pretty cool, you can pick em up and stuff, they feel neat walking across your hands.

Quote: Our property is surrounded by woods so maybe we'll go out today and hunt around since it's wet and mucky out there. Maybe we'll get lucky! ;-)

They like Moist Damp areas ...like near a pond or near a stream . under rocks
when I was a kid in Freeville NY .we had them everywhere . ( 50 years ago ) We had a large stream behind our house ...
They built many houses miles above that stream ..it is now all dried up
With the changes in weather , construction of houses ( less woodlands ) less streams - houses are using up water that used to become a stream), pollution , loss of wetlands
The environment is no longer there for them to live in

Back
Top Bottom