NY chicken lover!!!!

Morning all.  Rainy day here today and the girls are voicing their discontent inbetween eggs songs.  Had I know mother nature was going to water everything overnight and this morning I wouldnt have watered my plants last night.  Oh well.  My plum tree is trying to decide whether to thrive or give up.  Not sure what is going on.  Might add some composted chicken stuff around it and see if it helps.  Growing stuff around here (besides chickens) is always a crap shoot.  My silkie chicks enjoyed their day out yesterday.  Still waiting for the eggs under the broodys to hatch.  The terrorists were following dh around last night while he was mowing the far lawn.  They were looking for any goodies the lawnmower uncovered and kicked up.  

Pyxis---get that critter yet?  How are those babies I gave you doing?

Gramma--cute video.  Love watching mommas with babies.

Off to work today and since its raining I dont mind.  Have a good day everyone!

I haven't caught it yet, but I'm going to also build a weasel box trap tomorrow on my day off, and I found a neat way to do one with a glass jug. The babies are doing great! They are getting so big. They're going to move into my second empty hoop coop with the new babies tomorrow probably.

Sorry to hear about the losses, hope you catch it! What kind of Ameraucanas did you hatch?! 

Thanks! They are wheaton ameraucanas.

We have those orange salamanders all over my place. They really like dampness and they are out more after a rain.

You too?? Man, where should he be looking?? All we've been finding are snakes! Lol
We were out at 6 am. Most of them were around fallen rotting logs. I remember as a kid finding some under logs as well. These guys were just hanging out in plain sight.

I haven't caught it yet, but I'm going to also build a weasel box trap tomorrow on my day off, and I found a neat way to do one with a glass jug. The babies are doing great! They are getting so big. They're going to move into my second empty hoop coop with the new babies tomorrow probably.
Thanks! They are wheaton ameraucanas.

We have those orange salamanders all over my place. They really like dampness and they are out more after a rain.
Oooh you'll get some nice intense blue eggs!

Awww, I'm jealous about the salamanders! We live in what should be a perfect place for it (woods on the far corner, swampy marsh out that way, dense overgrowth around the perimeter of our property) and I haven't ever even seen one! My boys would be so excited if we found one, lol. We have lots and lots and lots of frogs, toads, tree frogs, turtles, birds, bugs, etc. But no salamanders.

I have B/B/S English orps. No sexed pullets available yet... Probably not until August when I determine who I'm keeping....but lots of chicks! Located in Delanson.

Can you keep me in mind when you do decide who to part with? I should know by then as well who I am keeping and I may want to bring in another splash or blue so I can hatch from parents that don't have lavender in their background like mine ;-)

Well I'm getting ready to move a couple of these girls to a private spot where no one can bother them and give them some EE and Del eggs. At least one that is cooler. I don't think the hoops are conducive to sitting.
My 2 broodies are in the nesting box in the hoop coop. Its the only coop I have. I just roll up the sides a few feet from spring till late fall. I also have the window in the door open as well as one side of the ends. While it can be warmer in there some days when there is a breeze its nice & cool in there. I haven't seen the broody girls panting yet and its been close to 77 in the hoop coop.

I did put a temporary nest in tho because the rest of the hens were climbing over the broodies to lay their eggs and 2 hatching eggs were broken. It took them about 3 days to start laying in the temporary nest. Edie took a week. The broodie girls are getting crankier as the time gets closer for the eggs to hatch.

I don't know if this has been done or done successfully but nearly 1/3 of my flock is now broody. I got up late but while feeding, noticed that the BCM had 21 eggs under her. Tonight I'm going to try to candle the eggs and move her, nest and eggs. Not sure where or how but does anyone have any ideas? This is just crazy. sue

Back
Top Bottom