NY chicken lover!!!!

When I had to move my first broody Silkie (she was quite mean while broody) I draped a kitchen towel over her to keep her calm. Placed her in a shoebox, and brought her to where I wanted her. Put her eggs in a carton and put those in the new nest before placing her in it.

So when I was feeding the chickens I noticed "the smell" of chickens in the air. I move the tractor daily (morning and night). It rained a lot yesterday and last nights so I am wondering how much that has to do with it. I am a bit worried that this will get worse once I stop moving the chickens every day and have them in their stationary coop/run. So....I am wondering what you all do to keep the smell down. (I want to have happy neighbors =)

My 2 broodies are in the nesting box in the hoop coop. Its the only coop I have. I just roll up the sides a few feet from spring till late fall. I also have the window in the door open as well as one side of the ends. While it can be warmer in there some days when there is a breeze its nice & cool in there. I haven't seen the broody girls panting yet and its been close to 77 in the hoop coop.

I did put a temporary nest in tho because the rest of the hens were climbing over the broodies to lay their eggs and 2 hatching eggs were broken. It took them about 3 days to start laying in the temporary nest. Edie took a week. The broodie girls are getting crankier as the time gets closer for the eggs to hatch.

I had three "bucket " nests in the hoop but one is empty. Some hens sitting on the floor. One Bucket has two hens in it. There are no laying hens in it at all now. I will be sure to check fertiltiy though I've seen the rooster dancing with the girls.

Last edited:
Evening all. Rainy all day. Let the brats out to play in the rain. Played with the silkie babies when I got home. Had two deer throw themselves in front of me while I was driving home. Not cool.

Ta for now

Not sure if this will work, but have you seen this commercial? Too funny!

lau.gif
Good commercial!

Finally worked!! Here is one of the hens I hatched from your eggs Lyndsi777. All three look the same. What breed is gru? I just love them!! Thanks again. :)

So when I was feeding the chickens I noticed "the smell" of chickens in the air. I move the tractor daily (morning and night). It rained a lot yesterday and last nights so I am wondering how much that has to do with it. I am a bit worried that this will get worse once I stop moving the chickens every day and have them in their stationary coop/run. So....I am wondering what you all do to keep the smell down. (I want to have happy neighbors =)

Hmmm....I don't notice too terrible of a smell. Our run is kind of far from the house, though...and honestly, my birds are free-ranging right now so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Finally worked!! Here is one of the hens I hatched from your eggs Lyndsi777. All three look the same. What breed is gru? I just love them!! Thanks again. :)

Oh wow, those turned out looking something like the blue hen. Gru is a Splash English Orpington. And I believe the eggs I gave you were from the Buff Orp and Barred Rock.

Oh wow, those turned out looking something like the blue hen. Gru is a Splash English Orpington. And I believe the eggs I gave you were from the Buff Orp and Barred Rock.

You did give me a few lavender ones. The other 2 have a tail though. Lol. Her tail has always been down like that. I had wondered if gru was aracauna. :) how is your silkie project going? I was working on a sizzle project but a few weeks ago a raccoon broke into my coop and ruined that. **** thing opened the two locks I had on the door. He won't be a threat anymore though.

Back
Top Bottom