NY chicken lover!!!!

They all made it through the night and I even got my usual 2 eggs this morning. They are actually spending a lot of time inside the coop today so it must be somewhat warm in there. I will try to post pics of the current coop, and some of the not quite finished one. I'm hoping me and the hubby can finish up the new coop tonight after we get home.that would really put me at ease. Also I kind already knew chickens make their own heat but I'm still kind New at the whole chicken farming thing and some of the post on here can make a person really paranoid. Oh and thanks for the tip about Vaseline. The roo won't let me touch him but the girls will definitely get some.

I suggest you wear a "head lamp" and get him at night. Chickens don't see well in the dark and are less likely to freak out.
wink.png

I wish you well,

rancher

Well, my silkie has wry neck. Thus begins the fun of catching her and shooting Nutri-Drench in her mouth each day. Thank goodness she's a calm and friendly bird or I'd have a heck of a time. Poor girl started turning circles after a cemani hen pecked her to show dominance while I was in the coop and she can't seem to lift her head all the way. Hopefully I caught it early and she'll recover fast.

Gramma I am so sorry about your hen :(

Also, abuot hens not seeing well at night...you're telling me...I have a hen that has decided to roost under the coop at night so every night I have to pick her up and bring her inside. She is a very skittish EE but in the pitch black I can grab her no problem.

My red hen that was looking ill has seemed to improve a lot. YAY! I put some vitamins and ACV into their water and they all perked up a little bit. Winter blues?
I wish I prepared more before winter...every year I say I'm going to get everything set up before the first snow so it doesn't catch me off guard. Not this year...and to make matters worse I somehow tore a muscle in my calf so everything takes me twice as long to do now. Ugh...when it snows it storms...

Gramma I am so sorry about your hen :(

Also, abuot hens not seeing well at night...you're telling me...I have a hen that has decided to roost under the coop at night so every night I have to pick her up and bring her inside. She is a very skittish EE but in the pitch black I can grab her no problem.

My red hen that was looking ill has seemed to improve a lot. YAY! I put some vitamins and ACV into their water and they all perked up a little bit. Winter blues?
I wish I prepared more before winter...every year I say I'm going to get everything set up before the first snow so it doesn't catch me off guard. Not this year...and to make matters worse I somehow tore a muscle in my calf so everything takes me twice as long to do now. Ugh...when it snows it storms...

Gramma- sorry about your girl
sad.png
you tried your best.

Aqha - glad your girls are doing better!

So who decreed that chickens should molt at this time of year??? Couple of my girls are about naked poor things! Still, at least they stay in the barn out of the weather.....
So, accidentally ran across some hunter tracks in the 'back forty' - no-one has permission, so I guess I'm going to be sitting in the swamp before sunrise to try and catch 'em! Cheeky buggers!! No-one has asked and the posted signs are clearly visible. Anyone who can't see them shouldn't be hunting with such a visual deficit.........wish me luck. If I don't post again, I guess I got shot...
th.gif

They all made it through the night and I even got my usual 2 eggs this morning. They are actually spending a lot of time inside the coop today so it must be somewhat warm in there. I will try to post pics of the current coop, and some of the not quite finished one. I'm hoping me and the hubby can finish up the new coop tonight after we get home.that would really put me at ease. Also I kind already knew chickens make their own heat but I'm still kind New at the whole chicken farming thing and some of the post on here can make a person really paranoid. Oh and thanks for the tip about Vaseline. The roo won't let me touch him but the girls will definitely get some.
You mean posts on BYC in general ? I hope our thread is the post of reason ..feel free to ask anytime ..someone will be sure to help you out .

You can put a thermometer in there ...I have one in mine . so I know what the temperature is in there .
Last winter it stayed 25- 30 degrees even when it was very cold outside .
This is Stoneys philosophy - they are birds they have survived for thousands of years ..Let them be birds .
I went out tonight & touched my 4 babies ( not quite 3 months old) to see how they were ..
Outside feathers felt cold to the touch ..so I loosely put some plastic & a board in front of their coop door ...So they will be a little warmer ..
Nothing air tight ..just a draft block . The front of my coops are still open .
I covered the back part with plastic already

This is the front ..the left side is the baby side ...As the weather gets colder it will have plastic on the front too .
It wont be totally air tight ..but it will still keep the heat in there & wont be very drafty

I am gradually getting it ready for storage of bedding for the winter

they are up at the front of it right now

They will go in with the big flock / coop in a small cage as I get this section total plasticed up..(this is last years pics )

Rancher, my sister-in-law wants to send my brother to stay in it. Neither he nor I are in favor of that. And the room service is spotty at best.

Room Service ...LOL it took me a bit to get that one ...As not a trace of them ...

Thank you for everyones kind words .
I havent done a autopsy on her yet to check her out ..Had to go get chicken feed today

Last edited:
On a Happier Note
I got some new roos today
big Cups & Coffee 10.00 at biglots
one side before coffee ..the other side after ...LOL..only had a few ...if you like them get them before they are gone ..

Hot pads from real deals $1.00

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom