NY chicken lover!!!!

I got the email for the New Years Day hatch-a-long. My husband may kill me if I try it. Chicks would be in the house forever till spring arrived. Yet the incubator is calling me, still in the hallway, never got it put down cellar. Hmmm, I want some EEs....

I got the email for the New Years Day hatch-a-long. My husband may kill me if I try it. Chicks would be in the house forever till spring arrived. Yet the incubator is calling me, still in the hallway, never got it put down cellar. Hmmm, I want some EEs....
I sold most if not all my new years day hatch along this year worked out great. Sadly I wont be doing it due to lack of eggs and roos doing their job. None of the birds hatched from the picnic are laying yet and 5 barred rocks aint doing anything only 1 red sexlink is laying. I think the only thing I want to hatch will be some bantams for my kids to show we just don't know what kind we want yet. I'm wanting a clean leg bird though for them.
Quote: I'm doing ok we are on a hill and the wind has blown most of the snow off my area or it got dropped in town closer to lake erie. Which I'm not happy about since my work has called us off two times this week already because the snow was bad there but fine here. But when I have white outs up here and all the way into work they don't call off and if I call in I get a point.

Glad to hear it J ...we missed you ...I hope the family is all doing well

They are all doing good. One day of school this week

Newbie to BYC here. We are in Savona, NY (Steuben County) We've had chickens for about 4.5 years. We moved to Savona 3.5 months ago - and lost 4 of the 7 birds we brought with us. We are in the process of cleaning up the old barn and getting ready to build a new coop for our birds and the birds we plan to add.

We are looking at getting 20 Black Australorps and 20 meat birds in the spring. Does anyone have any experience with meat birds?

Hello fellow NYer's! I have been more or less lurking for like almost a year, but the time has come for me to quit being shy. I need your help or any advice you might have.

(First, I am not sure if I can post this here--my apologies if I got the wrong board. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.)

One of my June babies is a rooster. He started baby crows at around 16 weeks. We have tried several ideas to keep Allie (never renamed him) quiet-er, and were pretty successful with a home-made collar...until now. All this week Allie is crowing. Loud. Ugh.

I felt so bad trying to keep him quiet, it's almost a relief that I can now re-home him somewhere he can be as loud as he wants. Except he's really our favorite and a very well mannered rooster so it will be sad to let him go. But, being located where I am, I am not permitted to have a rooster that crows until after 7AM (seriously) and I honestly do not feel that my neighborhood is ready for a rooster crowing anytime. I would like them to embrace the backyard chicken idea, not give them a reason to reject the idea. SO, the short of it is--Allie's got to go :(

He is a beautiful, very healthy, very well cared for Buff Orpington I raised from a chick. He free ranged in my suburban backyard until very recently. (My girls were getting close to laying and I wanted to keep them in the run until I was pretty sure they would lay in their nesting boxes vs the yard somewhere.) Anyone willing to give him a good life is welcome to contact me for details. I am in zip 12866, very close to Geyser & Rowland. I know there are a couple of Ballston & Saratoga area peeps on here from time to time, so I thought I would try here first before we try Craig's list or anything like that.

Thanks so much for all the laughs, tips, info, and chicken luvr camaraderie over the last year, you guys are awesome!

Jenn

Newbie to BYC here. We are in Savona, NY (Steuben County) We've had chickens for about 4.5 years. We moved to Savona 3.5 months ago - and lost 4 of the 7 birds we brought with us. We are in the process of cleaning up the old barn and getting ready to build a new coop for our birds and the birds we plan to add.

We are looking at getting 20 Black Australorps and 20 meat birds in the spring. Does anyone have any experience with meat birds?
Crazy for chicks has Aussies ...
Hello fellow NYer's! I have been more or less lurking

(First, I am not sure if I can post this here--my apologies if I got the wrong board.
It is fine..Everything but trolling is welcome here...we post quite a variety of things

One of my June babies is a rooster.
All I am not permitted to have a rooster that crows until after 7AM (
mine sometimes crows at 4:30 am ...How do you tell the rooster you cant crow till 7 am? LOL

Jenn
Ideas
1) a commercial no crow collar
2) do you have a cellar to put him in till 7 am ?
3) do you have a dark box / crate so he cant see the sun / muffle his crow
4) give the neighbors eggs so they dont care if he crows .
Ive asked my neighbors if they hear my Roos ..they said only when they are outside

Welcome to the insanity.

Rancher Hicks.

Hello fellow NYer's! I have been more or less lurking for like almost a year, but the time has come for me to quit being shy. I need your help or any advice you might have.

(First, I am not sure if I can post this here--my apologies if I got the wrong board. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.)

One of my June babies is a rooster. He started baby crows at around 16 weeks. We have tried several ideas to keep Allie (never renamed him) quiet-er, and were pretty successful with a home-made collar...until now. All this week Allie is crowing. Loud. Ugh.

I felt so bad trying to keep him quiet, it's almost a relief that I can now re-home him somewhere he can be as loud as he wants. Except he's really our favorite and a very well mannered rooster so it will be sad to let him go. But, being located where I am, I am not permitted to have a rooster that crows until after 7AM (seriously) and I honestly do not feel that my neighborhood is ready for a rooster crowing anytime. I would like them to embrace the backyard chicken idea, not give them a reason to reject the idea. SO, the short of it is--Allie's got to go :(

He is a beautiful, very healthy, very well cared for Buff Orpington I raised from a chick. He free ranged in my suburban backyard until very recently. (My girls were getting close to laying and I wanted to keep them in the run until I was pretty sure they would lay in their nesting boxes vs the yard somewhere.) Anyone willing to give him a good life is welcome to contact me for details. I am in zip 12866, very close to Geyser & Rowland. I know there are a couple of Ballston & Saratoga area peeps on here from time to time, so I thought I would try here first before we try Craig's list or anything like that.

Thanks so much for all the laughs, tips, info, and chicken luvr camaraderie over the last year, you guys are awesome!

Jenn
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom