NY chicken lover!!!!

Gas Prices up ?

A new Gas Station on West Genesee Street trying out the sign today
did you see about the station that was selling gas for 29 cents a gallon. The computer messed up.
wee.gif
Of course not near me.
rant.gif

i have one thats been laying a large egg with flat sides on it and what seems to be a real ruff spot [like sandpaper ] and a weak spot in the shell ..i think its one of my older production birds..sometimes she lays them with a point on the one end ..i just found one this morning ..i'll try and get a few pics ..

not sure what causes this ..i dont get them every day but a couple times a week tho..

These eggs are caused by chickens that a sick.. They might have Mareks, worms,cooties, cocci, bronchitis, ammonia or some other disease. They might even explode when you shake them so be careful of those hens.

Just kidding of course. I find that if I feed my girls a lot of bread I get funny shaped eggs. It happens from time to time. I think they're just trying to p me off.
somad.gif

Seriously it could be a nutritional thing. I'd give them a dose of vitamins, probiotics, extra calcium or ACV. Certainly nothing to freak about unless it happens a lot.

Such is life,

Rancher

Do you have a light in their coop? It helps. I dont have one on mine right now but im thinking about it. When i had RIReds i put a light over their water to keep it thawed out, it was a ways away from their roost so it didnt bother their sleeping (had a big barn to use then) and i got 15 eggs from 15 every day all winter.

I'm so jealous of those of you who are getting eggs. I'm getting an egg a day, maybe 2 if I'm lucky...I have 28 hens
rant.gif
I understand the 2 year olds not laying but the 1 year olds should be giving me more than 2...

My coworkers are getting anxious for eggs and keep bringing egg cartons in for me. Yesterday I brought a bunch of them home and walked by the coops slowly giving the hens the stink eye as I walked past them with a huge stack of cartons. I hope they got the message.

Well now what breed or breeds do you have? What are you feeding them? Remember hybrids are better layers in the short term. Pures in the long term.

I keep a mix this way when one breed lets up another might be laying.

Also keep in mind that different lines of breeds lay better than others too. In looking to meet the standard "look" many have destroyed the "utility" of the breed.

People love my barred rocks but they've never laid worth a darn. Watch your hens and pull any that suck at laying. Some hens are lazy.

Isn't she pretty? Just don't expect to eat her eggs, cuz she never laid that well.

These eggs are caused by chickens that a sick.. They might have Mareks, worms,cooties, cocci, bronchitis, ammonia or some other disease. They might even explode when you shake them so be careful of those hens.

Just kidding of course. I find that if I feed my girls a lot of bread I get funny shaped eggs. It happens from time to time. I think they're just trying to p me off.
somad.gif

Seriously it could be a nutritional thing. I'd give them a dose of vitamins, probiotics, extra calcium or ACV. Certainly nothing to freak about unless it happens a lot.

Such is life,

Rancher
i was going to say ..none of my birds are acting sick or look sick ..i give them acv in every watering they get ..i just gave them tons of pumpkin seeds [if it really works for worms ] they shouldnt have any..i mist them all with vetrx about once a month or so ..and rub it on their legs , combs and waddles..i do have some wellie hens that i am treating with pick no more...but they all seem happy and normal ..well as normal as a chicken can acted ..lol
i beleave the one laying it will be 2 yrs old this next spring..it is a production bird thats laying it ..i do give them some cracked corn with meal worms in it ..but not much table scraps unles we are having a salad for dinner then i cut them up some extras ..oh wait i did give them some popped corn the other day and some green beans ..i think i may give them some nutridrench and see if it changes any thing in her eggs ..

i have to admit when i first started reading your reply i got kinda flush in the face and worried i might be doing something wrong or just not seeing a problum ..i have been getting some blood in a few eggs ..not alot just a little spot or 2 here and there ..and i have one who lays dbl yokers ..

Well now what breed or breeds do you have? What are you feeding them? Remember hybrids are better layers in the short term. Pures in the long term.

I keep a mix this way when one breed lets up another might be laying.

Also keep in mind that different lines of breeds lay better than others too. In looking to meet the standard "look" many have destroyed the "utility" of the breed.

People love my barred rocks but they've never laid worth a darn. Watch your hens and pull any that suck at laying. Some hens are lazy.

Isn't she pretty? Just don't expect to eat her eggs, cuz she never laid that well.

I have a mixed flock, some leghorns, basic red production and then a whole bunch of other breeds, some that I hatched myself (red comet, buff orp mix). They are just coming out of a molt which might be doing it as well...
I don't want to add light to their coop but I think I'm going to have to :(

Do you have a light in their coop? It helps. I dont have one on mine right now but im thinking about it. When i had RIReds i put a light over their water to keep it thawed out, it was a ways away from their roost so it didnt bother their sleeping (had a big barn to use then) and i got 15 eggs from 15 every day all winter.
i run lights every nite they come on around 3:30 am ..and go off around 4 pm ..i still havent put a window in so its pretty dark in there when the lights go out ..it gets dark around 5 or a little after right now but they all head in about 4:30 ..they still wont all roost on the one side and they climb in the nest boxes .so i move a handful every night to the roost..i have a roosting area ,but only a couple would use it .i put up another roost but its just to small for everyone ..i have a ladder type roost i built but hardly ever see anyone use it unless i put them there ..

i think they roost in some kind of order that follows the pecking order ..its always the same birds roosting together it seems ..they get a little upset when i move them and theres a diffrent bird there then the one they were just in the nesting box with..lol

man that seemed like a mouth full ..sorry ..lol

i was going to say ..none of my birds are acting sick or look sick ..i give them acv in every watering they get ..i just gave them tons of pumpkin seeds [if it really works for worms ] they shouldnt have any..i mist them all with vetrx about once a month or so ..and rub it on their legs , combs and waddles..i do have some wellie hens that i am treating with pick no more...but they all seem happy and normal ..well as normal as a chicken can acted ..lol
i beleave the one laying it will be 2 yrs old this next spring..it is a production bird thats laying it ..i do give them some cracked corn with meal worms in it ..but not much table scraps unles we are having a salad for dinner then i cut them up some extras ..oh wait i did give them some popped corn the other day and some green beans ..i think i may give them some nutridrench and see if it changes any thing in her eggs ..

i have to admit when i first started reading your reply i got kinda flush in the face and worried i might be doing something wrong or just not seeing a problum ..i have been getting some blood in a few eggs ..not alot just a little spot or 2 here and there ..and i have one who lays dbl yokers ..

Sorry for my humor. It's just that folks freak at the first sign of oddness. Diseases and what not are not as common as we think. AS long as we keep things clean and cosy.

I wouldn't add ACV to EVERY watering. Once a month perhaps but not every time.

Some folks have different things they do for worms. I say do whatever helps you sleep at night. Though I am not a fan of using wormers that require tossing out eggs. That to me is just plain foolish.

Blood in eggs can be hen specific and it can come an go in others. Not a cause for concern. The occasional funny shelled egg isn't either.

Which was really my point. I'm sorry if I startled you.

Rancher

i run lights every nite they come on around 3:30 am ..and go off around 4 pm ..i still havent put a window in so its pretty dark in there when the lights go out ..it gets dark around 5 or a little after right now but they all head in about 4:30 ..they still wont all roost on the one side and they climb in the nest boxes .so i move a handful every night to the roost..i have a roosting area ,but only a couple would use it .i put up another roost but its just to small for everyone ..i have a ladder type roost i built but hardly ever see anyone use it unless i put them there ..

i think they roost in some kind of order that follows the pecking order ..its always the same birds roosting together it seems ..they get a little upset when i move them and theres a diffrent bird there then the one they were just in the nesting box with..lol

man that seemed like a mouth full ..sorry ..lol

Some folks put lights in and that's their decision right?

When you put in a window, place it on the side where the sun comes up. I hope to put one in on the other side so I get the morning and afternoon sun.

I've learned to which way the wind blows so my placement of shelters keep them from accumulating snow. I usually use bales of hay but I didn't get enough this summer. I'll be taking pics later. They like shelters placed around the yard.

Finally found a nice home for Allie, yay! I thought I would be more upset but I'm so relieved to have found him such a nice new home. That, and he was so tired of sleeping in the house he would run from me in the afternoon when he saw me--regardless of the scratch he knew I was coming with. It is very nice to know he can be a rooster somewhere other than my basement. And they said they will text me some pics of his babies when he becomes a daddy, I really hope they do, I think that would be cool to see.

Now if only I could get these girls to lay me some eggs...

Back
Top Bottom