NY chicken lover!!!!

looooong overdue hello from Tough Old Bird. Still kicking around, just busy busy!

Rancher, I want to once again mention how nice the flock of 4 I got from you almost 3 years ago is. All 4 girls are doing well. To remind you, I have a marans, a Delaware and 2 columbian rocks. Eggs have slowed way down now, assuming due to winter coupled with their maturing age. The smaller CR is the most reliable layer. An egg every day or at worst every other day.

Hope everyone is well and a belated happy new year to all.

TOB.

Hah! Thought you had deserted us.........
smile.png

Hah! Thought you had deserted us.........:)

Hi Boskelli! No...not deserted but a lengthy hiatus as I just find it hard to get enough time in a day! I was watching my hens scratch around and enjoy the little breaks of sunshine today and thought of everyone here on BYC and told myself to make re time to say HI!

Well my husband got the evil f%&#%r that has been killing my chickens! An ermine (white weasel) came back to finish his morning kill I think and we were about to move the chickens and set some kill traps and my son saw him, my husband ran back to the house and killed him with my great grandpas 410 I gave him for Christmas last year. So relieved that my sweet girl didn't die in vain this morning, and the rest of my flock will sleep well tonight, my law bantam she had just started laying and was a real beauty!

An ermine (white weasel) came back to finish his morning kill
so Sorry you had a predator ...glad it is gone ..

looooong overdue hello from Tough Old Bird. Still kicking around, just busy busy!
I want to once again mention how nice the flock of 4 I got from you almost 3 years ago is.
TOB.
Howdy ...nice to see you peeking in..
Sounds like you are due for some new chicks ...

Glad you got it, BitR! Weasels are nasty critters. Some friends of ours lost an entire flock to a weasel last year. So we gave them all of the pullets from our spring hatch. Two days later, that weasel came back. :-( They've given up on chickens for awhile. We're going to see about helping them build a suitable coop, closer to their house.

so Sorry you had a predator ...glad it is gone ..

Howdy ...nice to see you peeking in..
Sounds like you are due for some new chicks ...

Hi Gramma! Thanks. I'm always sorely tempted to take on a few more pullets, but between our summer travel and not wanting to rock the boat with my "core four" I remain (mostly) content with my little flock. Morehen's Disease!!!!!!!

Bakingintherain - sorry for your flock losses and I hope that the rest of the year will be uneventful with regard to predators.

TOB

Rancher, I want to once again mention how nice the flock of 4 I got from you almost 3 years ago is. All 4 girls are doing well. To remind you, I have a marans, a Delaware and 2 columbian rocks. Eggs have slowed way down now, assuming due to winter coupled with their maturing age. The smaller CR is the most reliable layer. An egg every day or at worst every other day.

Hope everyone is well and a belated happy new year to all.

TOB.
Glad you're back and remember there are more where they came from.

Back
Top Bottom