NY chicken lover!!!!

I was asked about this bird on my FB page, not knowing the age I said cockerel but knowing it's over 4 weeks old I am going to say pullet. We raise 100's of bantam Cochins a year so I'm pretty sure on my guess.

BTW, hi everybody. Been a while. Busy busy busy.

Chris
can we see a side view

can we see a side view

@rancher hicks what breed is your rooster? How old is he? Did he hatch from a colorful egg? How much are you asking for him?
I recently bought 6 chicks - 3 red stars and 3 BRs and they're 23 days old today. I'm thinking maybe one of my BRs is a cockerel because she's lighter and has more white barring than the rest, but if she isn't I'd really like to have one rooster for protection and fertilized eggs I can possibly hatch. I have about 2 acres fenced in, but I'd like to have a rooster to protect the girls from predators (especially hawks - the dogs take care of the ground predators).

I live in Cato, so Clay really isn't too far from me. I'm thinking when I move them outside in 3-4 weeks it would be the perfect opportunity to introduce a rooster. Any thoughts on good introduction strategies?

So if you still have him in 3-4 weeks and my BR is definitely not a rooster, I'd take him off your hands.
Remind me what rooster are we talking about? I have a Delaware rooster you can have for free . Dels are very calm and I've never had one attack me. I have three together with no trouble. Not all roosters are good protectors though. The do keep an eye on their hens though.

The delaware is a sport from Br's and New Hampshires. Another nice breed.

The hens are normal size...I was wAiting for my tall chicken...lol guess I need a roo. They are in the incubator. Eggs are due in 9 days! Woot woot!

Cool. I'd still like to get barbezieux, and bresse, and about two dozen other breeds...
Think I better just stick to a couple maybe three breeds. :-(

@Chicken girl 15 That's a good deal on cackle's broiler special all large breed roosters. I thought of ordering them to practice caponizing. They were .28cents ea @100 a couple yrs ago. Other hatchery's fry pan special roosters bargains are white leghorns.
S&G poultry sells red rangers 100@ $1.95ea, and what they call 'heritage whites', they're not, they are a slower growing, not as many health issues cornishX, according to reviews I've read. They are 100@ $1.10ea. If they say unavailable just email them, they become unavailable/available, off and on.
They sell hatching eggs 15doz minimum if you can handle that many Lol!
I'm fairly set on cackle for the price I can get. We have the meat chicken house started now, all it needs is the walls finished and roof dropped on. Its 6×8 2 story with the roosts only 6 inches off the floor. Windows are simple hardware cloth with plastic roofing I can put in place for bad weather. Currently however hubby is using my meat hut for a platform for a truck bed. That will be put in place on the truck Monday though.

You are close to me so if you want to add into my cackle order to save on shipping we are doing a few orders this spring. Just let me know. Plus with the extra bodies it should make for a safer trip.

Back
Top Bottom