NY chicken lover!!!!

Ny-chicken-lover chickenstock '17

Planning starts!!! That's the thread name.

I think Tab said last year right after it was over that she wanted to host this year's chicken stock. We generally like to move it around year to year so people have a chance to be closer and drive less. Although if Tab no longer wants to host it I'm sure everyone would be fine with you having it again. I know I'll try to go either way :)

I think Tab said last year right after it was over that she wanted to host this year's chicken stock. We generally like to move it around year to year so people have a chance to be closer and drive less. Although if Tab no longer wants to host it I'm sure everyone would be fine with you having it again. I know I'll try to go either way :)
either way works for me. I plan on attending even if I'm not hosting. Just let me know . The thread can still be used though. I will just edit the first post to reflect the place and time..
1f606.png
Yall crazy chicken people got me addicted..

Hi everyone! Just browsed the thread and would love a little advise.... I typically don't hatch any later then Sept, and that's ideally under a broody. This year I ordered some Silkie eggs off eBay for my final hatch. Unfortunately the breeder had a little oopsy and half the chicks turned out to be mixes. He was a real stand up guy and offered to replace or refund me for the eggs. Of course I wanted more eggs!!......but know I'm thinking these poor little duffers aren't ever going to be able to go outside. It's going to be the first week of November when they hatch. Does anyone else in Upstate NY hatch this time of year? How do you keep them? I love having chicks around, but most my existing flock are bantam Cochins. They spoil me by doing all the work most the time.....

Hi everyone! Just browsed the thread and would love a little advise.... I typically don't hatch any later then Sept, and that's ideally under a broody. This year I ordered some Silkie eggs off eBay for my final hatch. Unfortunately the breeder had a little oopsy and half the chicks turned out to be mixes. He was a real stand up guy and offered to replace or refund me for the eggs. Of course I wanted more eggs!!......but know I'm thinking these poor little duffers aren't ever going to be able to go outside. It's going to be the first week of November when they hatch. Does anyone else in Upstate NY hatch this time of year? How do you keep them? I love having chicks around, but most my existing flock are bantam Cochins. They spoil me by doing all the work most the time.....

Welcome to our thread!!
I try to stop hatching in June for that reason, but July hatches seem to creep in on me. I've got a couple broody hens right now that didn't get that memo, but I pull whatever eggs they end up w. Do you have a spot in the basement or garage you could keep warm? Maybe a back room u dont use and where u don't mind a little dust? It might not b so bad. And they'll prob grow up into very sweet, imprinted birds.

Welcome to our thread!!
I try to stop hatching in June for that reason, but July hatches seem to creep in on me. I've got a couple broody hens right now that didn't get that memo, but I pull whatever eggs they end up w. Do you have a spot in the basement or garage you could keep warm? Maybe a back room u dont use and where u don't mind a little dust? It might not b so bad. And they'll prob grow up into very sweet, imprinted birds.

Hahaha. They'll definitely be spoiled
1f60a.png
Unfortunelty not a lot of extra space around here, but we'll figure it out! I maybe able to heat our storage shed properly. Knowing my luck the kids will have them turned into house chickens! My husbands going to want a divorce! Hahahahaha

..but know I'm thinking these poor little duffers aren't ever going to be able to go outside. It's going to be the first week of November when they hatch. Does anyone else in Upstate NY hatch this time of year? How do you keep them? I love having chicks around, but most my existing flock are bantam Cochins. They spoil me by doing all the work most the time.....
Some do th new year hatch ...too cold for me .
Maybe we will have a warm winter ?
If you can get a hen to take care of them they should be okay .
I had a hen go broody in Jan ..I kept them in for a month .
After they are fully feathered they can go out a bit ...gradually get them used to the cold

got a hen with one chick so far and hope she hatched more. November isn't too late cuz I figure the mom will keep them warm. I have my hen separated to a vacant half hoop. I do have a half hoop with electric so I could hang a light in there just to keep things warmer. I have a hen in this type of set up with a light too. Not the coop part just the run. It's in an unheated room off our garage. I have another still in the box. I got it at TSC on sale. Keep an eye out folks for after season sales.

SALE

If you have a place for the chicks in a brooder you can take them from the hen or put her and them in a place apart. My Delawares are fine with chicks running around the run. I wish you well,

Rancher

Hahaha. They'll definitely be spoiled
1f60a.png
Unfortunelty not a lot of extra space around here, but we'll figure it out! I maybe able to heat our storage shed properly. Knowing my luck the kids will have them turned into house chickens! My husbands going to want a divorce! Hahahahaha

My husband's request for this past year was to not have chicks in the house all summer. It was mid August before they were all outside, lol. He hasn't threatened divorce yet, but I get lots of rolly eyes.
1f61c.png

Thanks everyone!!! I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out for a broody in the coop. Yesterday while I was cleaning 3 hens were in nest boxes throwing a fit cause I was trying to clean everything. I became super hopeful, then after I was done everyone just laid there egg and left......
1f621.png
I thought the broody gods were going to answer my prayers!! Darn chickens are such teases!

Stopped at Keystone Mills in Cortland, trying their layer feed. It is a mash, so hubby insists they are wasting it (because he feeds them too much which leaves feed out overnight for the rats). The high protein layer 120 came out to $12.13 per 50# bag with the tax. I know everyone is always looking for alternative feed options.

Back
Top Bottom