NY chicken lover!!!!

Thanks everyone for wonderful advice. it's defiantly is a treat for them . The farm I got them from told me to mash banana in oatmeal and give them in winters. They love it. Yesterday I gave them Apple as told here but they did not touch them Lol. Not sure what else I should give them to eat . I feed them this food and oats veggie scrap lettuce they don't like.

Thanks everyone for wonderful advice. it's defiantly is a treat for them . The farm I got them from told me to mash banana in oatmeal and give them in winters. They love it. Yesterday I gave them Apple as told here but they did not touch them Lol. Not sure what else I should give them to eat . I feed them this food and oats veggie scrap lettuce they don't like.

Try giving them a cabbage. They like it and it keeps them entertained pecking it to pieces for hours. It may give the hen a break as they have something else to vent their urge to peck on.

I give mine bananas all the time, they love them and go nuts for them. So as a treat they're fine
smile.png
Definitely shouldn't be fed as part of a main ration though.
Rancher is right, they need to be on a commercial feed, just oatmeal and raw oats and grits won't cut it. Maybe you meant you're only giving those things as a treat though.
That's what I thought. I toss old bananas in the compost and other stuff. I don't notice what they eat though. Now I know I can toss bananas in for treats in the run too. I don't like to offer them things they shouldn't eat or won't eat in the run cuz then the mice come. In the compost lord only knows who comes to eat there.

Just informing everyone here I have LF Cochins again. It's the same lines and color I was dealing with before, the Lemon Blue project. I plan to eventually add new blood to them and once they begin to lay I'll be offering hatching eggs and started birds at some point. Just thought I'd let everyone here know.
Where you been? I've considered blue to add to my Del frizzle hens. My hens look dirty sort of, but ti's red from their great, great, great grandmother Frenchy. All my frizzles come from her. I wonder if she'll brood again this year. Last year it was twice. She was eight then and nine now. None of her offspring went broody. You got an Mottled?

I put a post up in another thread to identify three of my bantam chicks. Would anyone here mind giving me their ideas? I've done a lot of internet searching, but no definite breed. I got them at TSC and there were about 20-30 in the brooder, all the same looking babies.

Just informing everyone here I have LF Cochins again. It's the same lines and color I was dealing with before, the Lemon Blue project. I plan to eventually add new blood to them and once they begin to lay I'll be offering hatching eggs and started birds at some point. Just thought I'd let everyone here know.
COOL...That Light yellow one is pretty

Thanks everyone for wonderful advice. it's defiantly is a treat for them . The farm I got them from told me to mash banana in oatmeal and give them in winter
Chickens are funny with new stuff ..
Mine Eat almost everything ..
I sometimes give them warm oatmeal before bed ...I add Milk not water for more nutrition .
You could add chopped apples to their Oatmeal / My Favorite FLavor
The smaller it is .the more likely they will Try it ..Esp if it is mixed in with stuff they do like
Raw Vegetables are the best for them ..Fat Chickens dont lay eggs ..it blocks their vent
Treats should be no more than 10 %
Remember it is a treat not a main Meal ..it should be gone in a couple of minutes

I call This Chickie Gruel - If I add Bread I add Milk for more nutrition .
.(.I many times Food Process their treats )
They get all our Veggie Scraps ..even onions
Or add some Bird seed to their Scratch which I throw down
Mine Dont like Mushrooms or Asparagus ..they Sometimes Eat Our Left overs too

Last edited:
Runt325- So sorry

Well its been a busy few days. Someone ran into me wednesday in utica. My car was totaled. They tried to turn left where no turn was allowed from the center lane. I was in left lane nearly side by side. They didn't see me. Progressive has been great to deal with. I have preapproval for a loan, now to find a new vehicle.

I candled my 95 eggs in the frigabator and pulled 21. I still need to prepare my brooders. Besides these babies both my siblings are expecting too!

Back
Top Bottom