NY chicken lover!!!!

He's a nice looking bird but I don't need him as I only keep roos I'd want chicks from.

I've been avoiding TSC for that very reason. I don't need more chickens and the more I'm outside the more I'm glad I don't have ducks.
lau.gif

He's a nice looking bird but I don't need him as I only keep roos I'd want chicks from. 

I've been avoiding TSC for that very reason. I don't need more chickens and the more I'm outside the more I'm glad I don't have ducks. :lau

If someone dumped a rooster on me I'd be furious. Not only does it saddle me with a rooster that I would now have to either try to find a home for or kill, they also just ruined my biosecurity and could have introduced a disease that would require I cull my entire flock to get rid of. Not to mention parasites like lice and mites and worms that could also have been introduced.

And since some diseases pass right through the egg I wouldn't even feel comfortable selling any birds, chicks, or eggs until I verified my flock was disease free.

forground BLRW background his son BLRW/S Phoenix

My mom gave me her very nice camera because she couldn't figure out how to use it.. so I took a bunch of pictures of my roosters. I may need to find my BLRW / Silver Phoenix roo a home. My kids will be sad.... but they have WCBP, White Cochin, S Phoenix roos coming in the mail. and Straight run red shoulder yokohama

If someone dumped a rooster on me I'd be furious. Not only does it saddle me with a rooster that I would now have to either try to find a home for or kill, they also just ruined my biosecurity and could have introduced a disease that would require I cull my entire flock to get rid of. Not to mention parasites like lice and mites and worms that could also have been introduced.

And since some diseases pass right through the egg I wouldn't even feel comfortable selling any birds, chicks, or eggs until I verified my flock was disease free.
I am upset and have him in a coop by himself. I won't be letting him out until I can get someone to take him. I've post him and one of my own to CL.

How do you get rid of un wanted Roosters ?
If no one will buy them I just give them away. Last two went to a little old oriental lady. I knew they would be dinner but that was fine with me.

To Everyone: As a rule I hatch my own replacements. Rarely if ever do I take in new birds. By breeding my own I am able to improve the hereditary strength. I don't keep or breed birds that get sick. Even if they recover. Unless I absolutely have too. Right now I'm looking to add Birchen Marans to the line that I've started with.

My Dels are from three different people, but I'm not taking in any new ones. They're the three I've started with.

Any frizzles I have are from Frenchy and a Cuckoo marans roo. She is nine and her daughter is about 8. So my frizzles should be strong.

Big Delores is my only Lt. Sussex and she's about 5-6. A big girl but she's the only one. She's still laying. Just laid an egg today as a matter of fact. Not many but she's laying so that's okay.

My point is hatch your own and know how strong your birds are. Practice good bio security and you'll shed less tears.

Good point. I'd be mad if someone left me to do the dirty work of their roo but I didn't even think about the numerous possibilities that could cause hazard to your flock. That would make me so sad.

I am upset and have him in a coop by himself. I won't be letting him out until I can get someone to take him. I've post him and one of my own to CL. 

If no one will buy them I just give them away. Last two went to a little old oriental lady. I knew they would be dinner but that was fine with me.  

To Everyone:  As a rule I hatch my own replacements.  Rarely if ever do I take in new birds. By breeding my own I am able to improve the hereditary strength. I don't keep or breed birds that get sick. Even if they recover.  Unless I absolutely have too.  Right now I'm looking to add Birchen Marans to the line that I've started with.

My Dels are from three different people, but I'm not taking in any new ones. They're the three I've started with.

Any frizzles I have are from Frenchy and a Cuckoo marans roo.  She is nine and her daughter is about 8. So my frizzles should be strong.

Big Delores is my only Lt. Sussex and she's about 5-6.  A big girl but she's the only one. She's still laying. Just laid an egg today as a matter of fact. Not many but she's laying so that's okay.

My point is hatch your own and know how strong your birds are. Practice good bio security and you'll shed less tears.   

So if you don't bring in new birds, how do you prevent inbreeding?

Back
Top Bottom