NY chicken lover!!!!

I know itā€™s early as the chicks are only 2.5 weeks old. But I get a sneaking suspicion that I ended up with a cockerel. Any thoughts?
C424BB27-59C1-4A09-878E-480A5CE446F5.jpeg
82531AB6-17D8-47E7-9805-10A0BE7D67E2.jpeg

Hi Y'all! Just got 2 baby geese with my hatchery order, let's hope I get a guard goose out of him/her/them. Hope all is well here in the NY forum. :)

What breed did you go with?

I know you probably already know, but just in case, 'guard geese' only guard to the extent that they will alert for danger if they see it, thus giving you time to intervene if you hear it and letting the chickens know to hide. And their larger size can deter smaller predators. They won't usually attack and fight with a predator in an attempt to drive it off, or anything like that.

Also, make sure you keep both :) Geese need to have at least one friend of their own kind to live with.

I've got two broodies here. One is a ko shamo hen so I'm just letting her keep her own eggs. I think she has about two or three. She's been trying to go broody for the last couple months so this time I'm just letting her do it.

The other broody is a brahma hen whom I don't have a rooster for, so her eggs aren't fertile. So she's going to do me a favor and take the guinea eggs I have in my incubator and hatch and raise them for me. So kind of her to volunteer to do that :p

I have to pick them up this week. Should be hatching today or tomorrow....we are pretty excited. The brooder is ready to add chicks and the coop is coming along. It will be ready beforethey are ready to move in. Haha
How much was that coop? We have been looking at buying vs building

Back
Top Bottom