NY chicken lover!!!!

Well good morning folks, if you want to call it that, what with the frost on the pumpkin. The lock on the hoop coop was frozen and I had to whack it a couple of times to loosen it so I could get into the run. I'll have to get a different lock system. It's one of those sliders bolt thingies. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so wet here.

As for the Energy thing. I just tell people to do what they can. Certainly we can't do everything but every little bit helps.

Now to the heat in the coop. The latest issue of BYP had an article on heat in the coop and I've decided not to put heat lights in the coop this winter. I will however try to feed the birds the largest part of scratch at night before they go to bed. I have a thermometer in each coop to monitor things. I have been buying pieces of ply wood from HD and saving it up. I've started to insulate the walls piece by piece. The hoop coop is my biggest worry. I've read a lot and they say chickens can do very well in the cold. Not the extreme cold but you don't want warm humid air. If you see condensation on the walls or windows it's to warm. There's always a place to sit in TSC you can just sit and read the article.
lol.png

Of course silkies aren't really chickens so that might be different for them.

Now for a laugh. I was sitting with friends (details not important) we were talking about animal crosses and one of them said that you can cross rabbits with cats.
lau.gif
Now I had heard this before when we got our late cat Stubby. He was a Manx and he would hop with his hind legs. (Manx have spine problems I've since learned and they also have longer hind legs than a common cat) So I explained that one the "parts" don't fit and two they are different species.

Now I did hear tell of a guy who crossed a dog and a chicken and got a dog that laid "pooched" eggs.
lau.gif

Have a nice day folks, love ya

Rancher

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
Very funny Rancher. My silkies seem to like the cold weather. They have been piling out of their coop in the am and my two roos are crowing more. Weird. Their coop is insulated so no worries about the coming snow and cold. It will be my first winter with silkies so it should be interesting to see how they do.

My tractor for my hens is insulated but no heat. They did well last winter even when it was 30 below and windy. Right now their coop and run looks like a chicken exploded. Feathers everywhere. The molt is definately on. Egg production is down as well.

DH tells me that silkies are real chickens as well. What is it with you men and silkies??? I love all my chickens.

Have a good day everyone!

Everyone knows silkies are aliens here from another planet to suck our brains out. I always wear a tin foil hat when I'm around them so they can't read my mind. When there is a full moon they shed their chicken skins and are their real selves. This is where the tabloids get those pics of slanty eyed people that they print.

Why do you think they go broody so much? They want to increase their population to take over the earth and make slaves out of us humans. You've already been conquered. Which is why you and so many others feel so goo goo ga ga over them.

I did have some but they didn't conquer me which is why it was so easy for me to get rid of them. DW however , who is not an animal lover , wanted me to keep them. She won't even go to collect eggs. She doesn't even like chickens! For some reason women seem an easier mark than men. At least "real" men.

I don't lie. Lies are not true. But you can make up the truth if you know how.
lol.png

Rancher

Last edited:
Rancher, of course you can cross cats with rabbits, but FrankenKitty looks mighty funny with those bolts sticking out of the neck and two different ears!
lau.gif
(a little Halloween humor!)

I had a Silkie try to read my mind once. The mental trauma caused it to have a breakdown and none has tried since. I think I am safe (probably on a "do not probe" list somewhere).
hu.gif

Last edited:
Leo is not too happy about the snow but made it to his girls (he doesn't like the girls he is cooped with as much as the older ladies!)

P1020282.jpg

the pullets, never having seen snow before.. FLEW (well, kinda) to their favorite bush and won't move.
tongue.png

P1020290.jpg

One of my langshan girls is much braver..
smile.png

P1020283.jpg

NN (JailBird) and SS discuss the situation at hand..
smile.png

P1020295.jpg

My 2 sons, 15 and 13, had a soccer game yesterday in Valatie....snowing like crazy, freezing their legs off as they were told by their coach they were not allowed to wear any type of sweats over or under their silly little soccer shorts (funny that the coach's sons had on sweats). I could not even find the field as all signs were covered by the wet, sticky snow. Fortunately, no snow here yet...I still have coop/run work to do. Spent most of yesterday before the game at the hospital with a swollen, infected finger. Had to tell them I have chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs, quail.....took them a while to decide which antibiotics to give me to cover all possibilities. Now I have to take 6 pills a day, ugh! At least I can almost bend my finger now. Back to work...

Quote:
That was me last month after a cat bite (was an accident, was trying to groom my barn cat's gigantic matts and nicked her).. Lesse, 10 days of augmentin, then 5 days of z-pack, then 14 days of augmentin.. ugh!

Back
Top Bottom