NY chicken lover!!!!

and I wish that mine that lived outside lived inside. BTW I have a beautiful light blue roo for sale
big_smile.png
Ooooohh.....I had a beautiful light blue roo....Ray loved him....so did a Great Horned Owl. sigh. But I have waaaaaaaaaaaay to many chickens and I am not able to talk Ray into building another coop. HOWEVER I might have him talked into getting a full sized pickem' up truck....which I will drive for work and he will take my car....sooooo I could stop at some of these CL listings and pick myself up a dog house or two. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Did I ever meantion that in addition to my 35 ( + or - a few) I have a broody sitting on 12 eggs? 2 for my neighbor and 10 for me? OMG what was I thinking?

Made it outside for a bit and sat and watched my cheeps. Weather is perfect so I am going out again. Its the getting up and down that kills me but it is good to be out. Still have an air pocket left inside so maybe I can work that out too. Taking my reader with me so I can read those old books on poultry raising and breeding...in between watching my cheeps of course!

Day 3 of no water....... Had our plumbing/heating guy out wednesday afternoon to do the annual furnace service and the water tank hasn't been heating as well. Heating element was shot, so drained the tank and replaced it. We get home from work, water pump is running non-stop. We have a 35' shallow well with jet pump, not your traditional well casing outside. When the pump runs non-stop, either something is wide open (like garden hose), or something is wrong. Last summer had an air pocket after the mother in law forgot to shut the water tank hose off and it ran for over an hour. Only took repriming the pump. This time, repriming isnt working. We dumped 20 gallons of water into the little hole to reprime it, but it never filled to the top. Plumber came back out to help, but didn't work. Started digging outside, but he couldn't find the well. We dug up the well this morning (tiny little pipe about 4' underground, directly off NE corner of house, about 5' out - remember that for future reference!) Called around 10am to let him know the pipe is uncovered (hoping for just failed check valve), said he would be out in an hour. It is now 12:30, hubby had to work, dropped little girl off to my parents. We need this to get fixed. I have water buckets and any other bucket set under the garage roof and horse barn eaves trying to catch the little bit of rain we got the past couple days. I had talked to the prior owner when we bought the house, who owned it for 30+ years, never had a problem with the well running dry. And he had multiple teenage daughters living here! We are hoping that we haven't run dry, because that would be $$$$. And the plumber just pulled in!
Oh, and I am going to the Luke Bryan/Jason Aldean concert at NYS Fair.
hide.gif
Guess I be a goat roper. :D

ETA: The well is NOT dry!!! Some previous 'expert' used steel fittings on the brass jet valve. Steel corrodes when in contact with brass, leaving a hole that the water would shoot back out of instead of drawing up to the house. Fittings replaced with poly fittings, primed the well and we are good to go! Just have to wait 3 hours for the sediment to settle back out before using any water in the house.
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Grr, stood up again for my craigslist ad, so my little Elvis is back on the market. He's still crated up just in case, but he'll go back in the coop tonight.

On the positive side, added two more pieces of electric fencing/netting. Today so all my chooks should have free range time. Now to see how many of them jump the fence. :) We've been trying it with the smaller coop and none of them have jumped, but we'll see on the big coop. We're getting a large voltage drop on one coop although still plenty to power the fence (14.4 volts down to 12.5) - need more grounding maybe?

Ooooohh.....I had a beautiful light blue roo....Ray loved him....so did a Great Horned Owl. sigh. But I have waaaaaaaaaaaay to many chickens and I am not able to talk Ray into building another coop. HOWEVER I might have him talked into getting a full sized pickem' up truck....which I will drive for work and he will take my car....sooooo I could stop at some of these CL listings and pick myself up a dog house or two. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Did I ever meantion that in addition to my 35 ( + or - a few) I have a broody sitting on 12 eggs? 2 for my neighbor and 10 for me? OMG what was I thinking?
you were thinking like the rest of us. I have 2 RIR broody's each on 14 eggs, a Sumatra raising 15 lil ones, 1/2 dozen free range pullets born in march running around, A broody in the Sumatra coop that hatched 7 lil ones yesterday. With 2 more Sumatra's in the same coop sitting on I don't even know haw many eggs, and 3 broody Sumatra's in various buildings sitting.
big_smile.png

I have two more broodies now, one of my gigantic langshan ladies and the other is a pretty little easter egger who is mean as heck when broody. I do NOT need any more chicks! LOL. IF my white eggs hatch (not looking good at this point), I'll give them one chick each but that's it. Enough brooding ladies!!

Cass, how is your little d'uccle? She can't be the one sitting on 12 eggs, right?

Grr, stood up again for my craigslist ad, so my little Elvis is back on the market. He's still crated up just in case, but he'll go back in the coop tonight.

On the positive side, added two more pieces of electric fencing/netting. Today so all my chooks should have free range time. Now to see how many of them jump the fence. :) We've been trying it with the smaller coop and none of them have jumped, but we'll see on the big coop. We're getting a large voltage drop on one coop although still plenty to power the fence (14.4 volts down to 12.5) - need more grounding maybe?
I WILL TAKE ELVIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
ya.gif

Got my first egg today!!!!!! :lol: she actually went in from free ranging to lay in the box!

On the other hand I have a rooster problem...my buff orpington rooster is getting very aggressive with the ladies..apparently Ringo my gold sebright lost his top roo spot. So Ethan will be going to freezer camp soon unless somebody wants him...
He is 4 months old, nice to people and follows you around, just very Uh...into the ladies..and not crowing yet.

Hey Everyone! Had my first 2 eggs this am. One blue and one brown egg! Felt like I found a $100 on floor. My 3 1/2 year old was so happy but dropped the blue egg on floor was upset but she cant wait to go what she called "easter egg" hunting again!
ya.gif
Had to share this with people who would understand!

Congratulations on the new eggs! Keep us posted on how they are doing.

Darn - the blue one had to bite the dust.

Kids + chickens = happiness

I have two more broodies now, one of my gigantic langshan ladies and the other is a pretty little easter egger who is mean as heck when broody. I do NOT need any more chicks! LOL. IF my white eggs hatch (not looking good at this point), I'll give them one chick each but that's it. Enough brooding ladies!!

Cass, how is your little d'uccle? She can't be the one sitting on 12 eggs, right?

She is doing well. No, thing 1 is sitting on 12 eggs. (Your hen) My little D'uccle is doing well Has recently developed a limp, but her eye is opening as the swelling subsides.

My eggs are due to hatch next Sunday. I hope they aren't early, cuz I won't be here. LOL

Back
Top Bottom