NY Winters ??

Shirley1957

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2022
Im starting a flock this spring after 20 years in Florida! Winters are ruff here in NY, how many chickens would I need for them to make it through a winter (warm wise) and how old do they need to be by fall??

As long as they are fully feathered, they are fine. Years ago I had bantams and EEs that would fly to the rafters in the barn and spread out. Only a few would roost together and they did great in below zero weather.

Hi! Yay I can be an expert in this thread!

You can get as many as you’d like but personally I’d do a minimum of 4. NYS law requires minimum purchases of 6 chicks, but older pullets can be bought in any amounts. And if you order from a hatchery like Meyer, I don’t think they hold you to the state minimum since they were purchased from another state.

I have a neighbor with 4 chickens she raised as chicks, she split her order with a friend.

Do you have a coop, and if so, how big is it? With snow, it would be helpful to have a roofed run, some birds refuse to walk in the snow 😂. Temps are not a problem, they keep themselves warm with their feathers. You will want a way to keep the water from freezing, or you’ll be replacing/refilling every few hours. Believe it or not, they will need ventilation at the top of the coop to prevent frostbite, as the moisture from their breathing in the winter can cause it on their combs.

Also look for cold-hardy breeds. Orpingtons, Brahmas, Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks, Easter Eggers, Chantecler, Bresse, RIR & New Hampshire are just a few cold-hardy breeds.

How exciting! Come join us at the NY thread as well! ❤️

Im starting a flock this spring after 20 years in Florida! Winters are ruff here in NY, how many chickens would I need for them to make it through a winter (warm wise) and how old do they need to be by fall??
Two.
You don't need warm, you need dry.
This is the permanent ventilation in my coop. All light coming in is open (except closed windows). There is also a ridge vent.
Ventilation.png

Only my rooster has gotten frostbite on his large single comb. If I had to do it all from scratch, I would only have a rooster with a smaller single comb, like an EE. I would love to have some Chanteclers. They have nice tight combs.
I have an attached fully secure solid roofed run for those long winters with snow where the chickens don't like to come out. It gets winterized in November with polysheeting to block the wind.
IMG_20220401_163608837.jpg

Having the solid roof was sure handy when this happened last winter.
Winter bury 1.jpg

Also note that all your gates to access your birds should open out so you can shovel your way to them.
I keep their heated waterer in the run along with their food and never close the pop door so they can go out and eat and drink as soon as they are off the roost in the morning.

When you do roofing on the run, do consider snow load - very important.

You don't need warm, you need dry.
This is the permanent ventilation in my coop. All light coming in is open (except closed windows). There is also a ridge vent.
It seems counter intuitive, but dry is better than warm, dry chickens are warm chickens. You need dry and wind protection, but not warm. Think of a car in the winter with people in it without heat. Almost immediately it fogs up, everything becomes damp. DAMP chickens are cold chickens.

Just do it, it is such a fun hobby.

Mrs K

Don't skimp on ventilation. 1 square foot per bird permanent, more in the summer. But make sure that rain and snow can't blow into the coop from the vents. Awnings over the vents work very well to protect against this.

And don't be tempted to heat your coop! Heat lamps are a fire hazard and not necessary. Not in NY anyway. The chickens will be fine if they are dry and have fresh air, that's all they need.

Back
Top Bottom