Nystatin efficacy and next steps

mintyivyy1

Chirping
Oct 11, 2022
Hi all,
1.5 yr old dark Brahma was going thru her first molt when her crop slowed and became sour/doughy. Free choice grit and oyster shell, organic layer crumbles, not free range (ie no access to long grass or hay.)

Took her into the vet asap, bloodwork normal, X-ray normal, their guess was crop stasis associated with molt. Today is day 7 of nystatin and every morning I can still feel the doughy sandbag like mass. I’m super discouraged that it doesn’t seem to be working, I massage the meds into her crop and rub throughout the day. She’s been isolated inside for over a week. She won’t go for her normal food but will eat peas, corn, kale, mealworms. I’ve tried every food item you can imagine. Her energy is high, she seems great with the big exception being her doughy crop and disinterest in her actual food.

Besides putting her on a stronger anti fungal—guess we’re going back to the vet tomorrow—ideas? advice? This poor chicken is on 6ml of meds twice a day already.

I would not give any more foods except for watery chicken feed and perhaps a little mushy egg. Keep massaging in a downward motion to break up the doughy mass. Fluids are most important, and you could use some vitamins and electrolytes for about 5 days. Some people do use a stool softener such as Colase of doccusate sodium, or a tsp of chilled and chopped coconut oil to lubricate the digestive tract.

Back
Top Bottom