doughy crop in 17 month old easter egger

May 6, 2023
My girl, Eleanor is on an antibiotic and antiinflammatory for 10 days now. 4 more days to go. She was laying mishappened and then a large paper thin shelled egg that was white. Eleanor lays green eggs. She was in a lot of pain laying these last 2 eggs. I was ready to put her on a hormone implant, but then she laid a perfect egg and did not present painful symptoms when laying the egg. This morning. I was giving her her meds and her crop felt like playdoh. before she had breakfast. I have read possible reasons are overabundance of worms. I did give all my girls today a dose of valbazen. I have started massaging her crop, which she likes. I am thinking on miconzale cream because I read this doughy crop is a form of sour crop? can this crop be caused by the meds? She does not smell at all. She is eating and acting normal. I am not familiar with doughy crop. I have treated one on my hens with classic sour crop successfully with the miconzale cream. What is the proper treatment for doughy crop? I can actually mold it with my fingers. the crop is about the size of a half dollar. I love my girls dearly. Suggestions of treatments will be greatly accepted and appreciated. Thank you.

I'd start with coconut oil and massage since it's doughy.
Re-check to see if the crop empties overnight. See that she's drinking really well.

This article gives more details on different "types" of crop problems and treatments:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
coconut oil is good at softening up the crop, but it is not emptying it completely. her stool is loose with some undigested food in it. I am managing to keep the crop from getting bigger with the massage, but poops are concerning and well as the playdoh texture of the crop and not emptying. she is still eating and drinking. she is not interested in her favorite mealworms, but is really going after the apples and kale and fodder. not so much her crumbles. I started some metamucil with papaya enzyme to help her digestive track. I started her on amoxcillin 250mg twice a day after reading about enteritis. her poops look like the photos i have seen. does this sound good until I can get her in monday? she is not laying eggs either, but that is not suprising.

coconut oil is good at softening up the crop, but it is not emptying it completely. her stool is loose with some undigested food in it. I am managing to keep the crop from getting bigger with the massage, but poops are concerning and well as the playdoh texture of the crop and not emptying. she is still eating and drinking. she is not interested in her favorite mealworms, but is really going after the apples and kale and fodder. not so much her crumbles. I started some metamucil with papaya enzyme to help her digestive track. I started her on amoxcillin 250mg twice a day after reading about enteritis. her poops look like the photos i have seen. does this sound good until I can get her in monday? she is not laying eggs either, but that is not suprising.
Sounds like you're doing what you can.
Hopefully the vet can see her on Monday.

Sounds like you're doing what you can.
Hopefully the vet can see her on Monday.
Eleanor is doing well with the crop issue. I only gave her one amoxcillin dose. I did start her on monistat twice a day and metamucil/papaya twice a day. the crop issue has resolved. It is flat in the morning. This is day 5 of anti fungal. Is she done with the anti fungal? I cannot find how long to give. she is thin. Is it ok to give her some corn to help her put some weight back on or is it to soon? thank you for your time and advice.

Eleanor is doing well with the crop issue. I only gave her one amoxcillin dose. I did start her on monistat twice a day and metamucil/papaya twice a day. the crop issue has resolved. It is flat in the morning. This is day 5 of anti fungal. Is she done with the anti fungal? I cannot find how long to give. she is thin. Is it ok to give her some corn to help her put some weight back on or is it to soon? thank you for your time and advice.
You want to give the miconazole for a full 7 days.

She will regain her weight as she recovers. I'd focus on her eating her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed for the majority of her diet. Corn is mainly a filler and low on protein, so if you wish to give her a nice treat, try offering a little egg, fish (sardines/mackerel), or meat.

You want to give the miconazole for a full 7 days.

She will regain her weight as she recovers. I'd focus on her eating her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed for the majority of her diet. Corn is mainly a filler and low on protein, so if you wish to give her a nice treat, try offering a little egg, fish (sardines/mackerel), or meat.
Thanks so much. So much to know. This forum is the best for finding solutions to questions . Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom