Early Doughy Crop?

May 29, 2019
My 4.5 y/o BO, Glory, has been molting, but otherwise appears in good health. She was eating/drinking and pooping normally yesterday evening. Today, mid-morning, she took one of those poops that indicate her stomach is empty which concerned me and I felt her crop. It wasn't big by any means, but wasn't empty. The contents felt a little doughy.

Is it possible for a crop to be doughy and small? Or is it usually much bigger? Should I start treating her, or should I wait to feel her crop first thing in the morning tomorrow to know for sure?

In short, I want to know if it's possible for a normal crop to feel doughy at some point in the day, without technically being a health issue.

Yes, it's possible. Sometimes molting birds don't eat real well, so I would keep an eye on her. You might want to get a weight on her, so you can check regularly to make sure she's not losing weight. Also make sure she's drinking well, not dehydrated. and has access to grit. If she's not eating well, try giving some scrambled egg, see if she eats that and digests it OK. I often will do that with birds that are having a difficult molt and not eating well. But do check the crop first thing in the morning, since they eat and drink periodically during the day, that is the best time to see if the crop is emptying overnight, to see if there may be a problem.

Yes, it's possible. Sometimes molting birds don't eat real well, so I would keep an eye on her. You might want to get a weight on her, so you can check regularly to make sure she's not losing weight. Also make sure she's drinking well, not dehydrated. and has access to grit. If she's not eating well, try giving some scrambled egg, see if she eats that and digests it OK. I often will do that with birds that are having a difficult molt and not eating well. But do check the crop first thing in the morning, since they eat and drink periodically during the day, that is the best time to see if the crop is emptying overnight, to see if there may be a problem.
She's been eating and drinking when I check on her, and is always excited to do so. I just felt her crop and now it feels watery (probably because she had some water). Her energy is normal--bright, affectionate, inquisitive. I haven't seen any weird poops since this morning, though I can't know for sure who is pooping what.

Thanks for the tips! I have grit out. If her crop feels off tomorrow morning, I'll separate her with some scrambled eggs to see how she does.

Back
Top Bottom