o shamo rooster being aggressive

Well, first things first, I agree, don't let him near your kids. He has a lot of instincs, and doesn't know how to express them. Most gamefowl at his age would've had at least a couple of play fights as chicks, and maybe one more serious as juveniles. To be perfectly honest with you, I don't know what you could do, other than keeping your kids safe. I'm purely speculating, but the introduction of a hen or two could potentially (and with quite a few question marks) prove to be helpful
How can I correct his attacking or posturing? My son (special needs 9 year old) loves him and they have always been around each other, but he did attack his pant leg a few days ago, had hold of it with his beak and was kicking with his legs. I got him gently to the ground and held him there until my son was inside. My son was wearing red pants (red seems to be a bigger trigger) and was jumping and running, when big bird (my rooster) attacked. I haven’t let my son around him since. I am thinking on the female. When I saved him I obviously had no plans to keep a chicken or chickens, he just landed in my yard and I fell in love

There's nothing you can do to "fix" him. You can try getting some chicken friends and hoping for the best (as in, something clicks in him, and he recognizes what he should do). Otherwise, it's going to be a problem. So definitely keep the children away. I feel for you, Shamo are such a nice breed, if it weren't for him being imprinted, he would've been an amazing bird for you. I sincerely hope he gets better

There's nothing you can do to "fix" him. You can try getting some chicken friends and hoping for the best (as in, something clicks in him, and he recognizes what he should do). Otherwise, it's going to be a problem. So definitely keep the children away. I feel for you, Shamo are such a nice breed, if it weren't for him being imprinted, he would've been an amazing bird for you. I sincerely hope he gets better
So when he attacks I can’t do anything? Like someone said to gently pin him until he’s calmed down in another thread. Basically showing dominance. Being careful of their fragile breast plate. Or will that make him worse? Is there a chance this gets better once he’s past this teenage time? Sorry for all the questions.

First, he's dangerous, especially for children. You can't 'fix' this, and a child definitely can't deal with this bird.
You can try all the different, often conflicting, advice found here and elsewhere, once in a while it might be possible to 'retrain' him to be a bit safer for you, but never for a child. This is sad, I'm sorry, but safety first! he can get to eyeball level and do real harm!
Usually this breed type is good with humans, but apparently not this bird, for whatever the reason.
Mary

So when he attacks I can’t do anything? Like someone said to gently pin him until he’s calmed down in another thread. Basically showing dominance. Being careful of their fragile breast plate. Or will that make him worse? Is there a chance this gets better once he’s past this teenage time? Sorry for all the questions.

Pinning birds to the ground, or anything of that nature has never worked here. He will become wiser with age, but that is not to say he'll necessarily stop. At least for me, an imprinted gamefowl is uncharted territory

Here we've tried every method mentioned to 'retrain' human aggressive cockerels and cock birds, and nothing ever really worked, at least not for long, and/ or for more than one person. Long ago we gave up, and eliminate the idiots who attack the Giants Who Bring Food, because it just wasn't worth it! 'Pretty' is nice, but not when it's dangerous, especially for children and visitors.
Mary

This breaks my heart 💔, he is a huge sweetheart usually, he’s been my baby since I found him. But scares me too with his random attacking, but it’s like he doesn’t recognize who or what he’s attacking when he does it. I can’t give up on him. I’ll keep him away from my kids. I will rehome him if it’s best but how do I find a good home where I know he won’t be used for actual cock fighting? Btw the side bun on his head in the pic with me is from his stitches lol

He knows who he's going after, sadly, it makes sense to his little adolescent brain. And he's not a baby, he's a developing cockerel, raised without other chickens to show him who he actually is.
It would be nice if he can actually have flockmates, especially in a mixed age and sexed flock. If you do rehome him, only with full disclosure!
Mary

He won't be used for fighting. He's a shamo. They're an exhibition breed. They just hold on to a lot of their ancestral blood. Try to find mature gamefowl hens for him, they *might* be able to put him in his place. "Regular" hens weren't enough for my aseel

Back
Top Bottom