o shamo rooster being aggressive

HeathBar28

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2023
Please help, I have a 5 to 6 month old O shamo rooster who is being aggressive off and on. He seems scared and on defense, and attacks. He is having his first molt, plus the weather change, and I am making a new outdoor area for him. I don’t know if any of these are contributing to his extra attitude? He will like side step at me ready to attack, today while trying to pick him up he attacked my arm twice. Luckily I had a sweater on but it still left a little mark. What do I do when he does that? He has been my baby since I saved him as a tiny little chic. He will still jump on my lap and take pets and cuddles etc but I never know when he’s going to have attitude. Read my welcome post for more info, anyway please help me!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7459.jpeg
    IMG_7459.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7298.jpeg
    IMG_7298.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6999.jpeg
    IMG_6999.jpeg
    697.1 KB · Views: 27
When he attacks, what does he do? In the last photo he looks a bit weirdly positioned. Will you be bringing any girls in for him soon?
He was sun basking in the pic. When he attacks he bites with his beak and depending on how serious he is he holds on and kicks his feet. He’s never held on to skin only clothes and only a few times. I don’t know about a lady friend or not for him

He will also attack random things that he seems to think are roosters? Like my sons sand box digger, he will jump attacking it with his feet, etc

He was sun basking in the pic. When he attacks he bites with his beak and depending on how serious he is he holds on and kicks his feet. He’s never held on to skin only clothes and only a few times. I don’t know about a lady friend or not for him

Interesting. I have never met a human aggressive Oriental gamefowl. It could be that the 0 interaction with other chickens has led him here. Is it possible that he has imprinted onto you?

Interesting. I have never met a human aggressive Oriental gamefowl. It could be that the 0 interaction with other chickens has led him here. Is it possible that he has imprinted onto you?
The vet said he had imprinted when he was a few weeks old and I took him in for the stitches on his head, what would that mean with his behavior?

The vet said he had imprinted when he was a few weeks old and I took him in for the stitches on his head, what would that mean with his behavior?

To put it very very plainly, he's confused. He thinks you're a chicken. Or he thinks he's a human. Either way, he's a gamefowl. He has the instinct to fight (granted, possibly bred down, due to him being a shamo), he just doesn't know what the "correct" thing to fight is

To put it very very plainly, he's confused. He thinks you're a chicken. Or he thinks he's a human. Either way, he's a gamefowl. He has the instinct to fight (granted, possibly bred down, due to him being a shamo), he just doesn't know what the "correct" thing to fight is
that makes me so sad, what can I do?

that makes me so sad, what can I do?

Well, first things first, I agree, don't let him near your kids. He has a lot of instincs, and doesn't know how to express them. Most gamefowl at his age would've had at least a couple of play fights as chicks, and maybe one more serious as juveniles. To be perfectly honest with you, I don't know what you could do, other than keeping your kids safe. I'm purely speculating, but the introduction of a hen or two could potentially (and with quite a few question marks) prove to be helpful

Back
Top Bottom