Oatmeal - be sure to wear a raincoat!

Maidservant

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Well, since it was unusually cold last night (and tonight as well), I decided to make everyone a big pot of oatmeal. I ladeled it out into pie pans and sprinkled a bit of cinnamon over it. Let it cool for a minute or two, and took it out. Boy, you would have thought it was Christmas already! I got covered in oatmeal and mud when two decided that they didn't want to wait for me to sit the plate down.

My spoiled rotten little chick jumped up onto my head (with muddy feet and oatmeal in her beak), right after I washed my hair.

I'm going to call the feedstore tomorrow and see if they sell rolled oats in 50 lb feed sacks for my little ones!

The 50-60 chickens and 18 ducks that are together had all of the plates clean within five minutes
lol.png

I will definately cook oatmeal for them again!

Emily in NC

Cute! Just be clear with the feedstore as to what you are looking for...."rolled oats" here are very similar to crimped oats, and are just whole oats that have been slightly squished, barely, nothing like oatmeal you buy in the grocery store!

oh, and....wear a hat next time! a washable one! and bring a camera....

I'm afraid that my camera wouldn't make it, with going from warm to cold/humid, not to mention the flying oatmeal!

I'll try to get some pics if I decide to feed it to them again tomorrow morning. It's 17 degrees here already! That's horrible considering that we were sitting in the mid 70's two days ago!

Emily in NC

lol... I know exactly what it is like...

I make porridge oats for my girls, because of the cold.

I only have 4, but they see the dish coming and all mayhem breaks out.

I have now started combining treats and mixing the yogurt in with the oats.

OMG they love it. Maybe it is not important for them to have warm food, it could be more for my benefit to feel I am catering for them appropriately... lol. Human quality transference and all that, but it seems to work.

I give them some treats every day, but not over the top to spoil their balance as far as diet goes, so I give them vegetables every day, and now an again the porridge, yogurt and spaghetti, and other treats.

Yesterday was spaghetti day with tomato and yogurt, and it was everywhere. heads beaks and feet.... lol... and me...

with all your birds I can just imagine the state you could get into.

lol.... no respectors of human dignity or shampoo are they?

Jena.

Quote:
You'd probably be better off going to Costco, Sam's Club, or a restaurant supplier if what you're looking for is a large supply of oatmeal (it isn't the same as the rolled oats sold at feed stores).

If you can't find a local source, there are plenty online. Here's a link to get you started: Honeyville Food Products .

Last edited:
Like Jena, I mix stuff in with the oatmeal, to give the hens a "variety breakfast". Some days they get a over-ripe banana, a left over piece of squash, corn niblets, potato, the little bits from the bottom of a cereal box, etc. I always mix in a scoop of their regular laying pellets as well, before adding the hot water, and mixing it all up, and often I add some crushed egg shells to the mix. I figure this way they get their needed protein, and calcium.

I usually place the bowl in the outside run, before letting them out to it, so I can get out of the way. I stay much cleaner this way
D.gif

On the weekend, and holidays, when I am home in the morning they get McCanns Scottish steel cut oats. It takes about 30 minutes to cook, and I add raisins and dried fruit, or raisins and meat.

I bought a case of the oatmeal on Amazon on sale, and almost every can was dented due to poor packing. I complained, because this was going to be long term storage, it comes in cans. They sent me another case. So the girls and boys are getting the dented cans.

They love it, and I am trying to figure out how to cook it on work mornings. I am NOT a morning person, and cooking it the night before makes it nasty the next day.

But they get other treats during the week, mostly canned corn and peas from the dented food store. Dented food store. Only in Missouri.

Cheri
roll.png

Last edited:
We are all crazy - but my girls love their treats too. Oatmeal with shredded cheese or yogurt is a favorite. Cheri, perhaps you could soak the steel cut oats in the cooking water overnight then the cooking time should be much quicker in the AM. BTW, for all of the non believers who use just layer feed, We have 7 hens and 8 pullets, the temps have been in the teens at night and I'm averaging about 12 eggs a day.

I've already noticed an increase in egg production. I don't know if it's just because my girls are being silly and trying to confuse me, or if it's the extra warmth in the morning. Then again, it was 70 degrees here two days ago. Going to be another cold one tonight, already below freezing!

Emily in NC

This is great! I have also fed mine cornmeal mush (I found an OOLD opened bag clear in the back of the cupboard--it had weavels in it. Was just going to throw it out, then thought, "Why not!!??) They loved it just as well. I figure the weavels just added extra protein.

cherig22, how 'bout using a crock pot? I know you can cook regular oatmeal in it, so why not your McCanns? Usually you have to add extra water/milk so it doesn't dry out. If you try it, let us know how it works. Maybe we'll start a fad...

Back
Top Bottom