Oats for Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Boo-Boo's Mama, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

This evening a posting on Craig's List caught my eye. Someone in my area is selling oats for $5.50/50# bag.

My DH thinks this is a good price.

Would it be ok to add the oats to the starter/grower for my chicks?

Thanks!

Peggy

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    How old are they? Oats are one of the higher protein grains, but it may not be enough for your chicks depending on age. Oats are usually included in scratch grain for adult birds.

3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

The oats were recently harvested. They are harvesting grains in our area at this time.

My chicks are 12 weeks old, 9 weeks old and 8 weeks old.

Can I use the oats as a treat for them?

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    They are about 20% hulls so that's very high-fiber for a chicken feed. And, that's not talking about a starter diet.

Richard J. Julian, University of Guelph, Ontario, says 5% of diet or 30% of diet, dehulled, "maximum recommended." But once again, they aren't talking about chicks.

4. Alternative Feeds

It sounds, however, like your chicks are reaching the adolescent stage. A little might be okay.

Steve

5. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    I cook up a big bowl of oatmeal for my chickens once a week. They love it! It's kinda funny how they will stick their entire beak into the oatmeal and wind up with oats all over the sides of their faces...then go running to find something to rub up against to clean their self

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by