Obsessed Rooster

GigiMarie

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2020
Anyone else have a rooster that is obsessed with them? LOL. We live in a small town where we can have hens but not roosters. We paid to get sexed chicks but of course still ended up with a rooster. I now have an indoor roo that I couldn't find a home for. He lives in big coop in my office but ultimately just ends up out with me most of the time. He perches on my shoulder like parrot. He's almost 4 months old. He is a Sebright Bantam. I've heard roosters of this breed are generally more docile (he does have "hen feathering"). I love him to pieces. Anyone else with an indoor roo? We've been fortunate that except for a few occasions of him pecking/flying at feet he really hasn't been aggressive. We were able to curb that behavior with a spray bottle and water. He also gets along with the cat. Some days I have them both on the back of my chair watching as I work.

Share pics of him! My boy attack is only 2 months, but he absolutely loves when I come over. He will come over and let me pick him up. He watched tv with me today and he does school with me. He’s a Flarry Eye Gray.
Here are some pictures!

7863C132-5C70-449E-BFAA-9A5574A59BE6.jpeg 45AB96E6-17F7-4F7D-9C91-70C08AF497B5.jpeg DFA051E5-C835-4809-8AFC-F21D50F954CF.jpeg B746CC57-C50C-4302-8931-88C9F75F9178.jpeg DFA051E5-C835-4809-8AFC-F21D50F954CF.jpeg E8A7F626-E843-4035-867C-5193CCDEDCD6.jpeg

I paper trained a rooster. Sort of. Back when I began my flock, I ended up with a rooster out of a batch of Wyandotte pullets. My run was too small for a partitioned area for this fellow, and he needed to be separate as he was a maniac with the hens. So he would spend days outside the run.

This became impractical when winter came. It was too cold and miserable to leave him out, so I brought him into the garage. He was in a dog crate most of the time, but periodically, I would take him out and place him on a newspaper on a window shelf. He would poop, and then I would put him back in the crate. He wasn't abused, he did spend time with the hens, so he wasn't deprived of all chicken companionship and he roosted every night with the flock.
P1010002.JPG

Stan the Wyandotte

Roosters are quite smart. They easily learn their name and respond to it, respond to discipline, so it follows that they could probably be paper trained as you would a puppy.

Begin by confining him to a paper in a small space as you would a puppy. Then expand his space to include bare floor. If he is about to squat on the bare floor, as you would a puppy, you move him quickly onto the paper. Chickens are creatures of habit, and I imagine it wouldn't take long to house break or paper train a roo.

I had a rooster in my rooster-only flock, named Chester, who followed me around all the time. He was intelligent and knew how to steal cat food and escape from his coop. He was also pretty unafraid of people, did the wing dance to me a lot, yet never showed even the slightest hint of aggression towards anyone. Chester loved to get his chest rubbed (he didn’t like being picked up, though) and liked to randomly fly onto my arm.
Here’s a picture of him on a leash at the beach.
06645C05-3020-4C0E-BEA3-751F3AC83606.jpeg

I rehomed a rooster that became an indoor/outdoor pet, along with a basset hound. He slept with the dog in a dog house in summer. In winter he roosted on a file cabinet in the kitchen and watched TV with the family from the back of the couch.

In Asia, roosters are very popular indoor pets, very adored and cherished. Every so often we get threads from these people when their roosters are having health issues.

The thing about roosters is that they can be quite well-behaved, requiring a minimum of structural discipline, as long as they aren't exposed to hens. That can change the entire game.
That's awesome. I figured there had to be others who kept them. My line of thinking was that people keep all kinds of bigger birds (macaws, cockatoos, etc.) as pets so why not a rooster? Obviously he was around hens until we figured out what he was but as soon as that happened he came inside. He was probably about 9 weeks old at that point. For the most part he's been phenomenal. Once in a while he does the all day crowing but not very often. He did go at feet for a bit when he was about 3 months old but the water spray bottle seemed to stop that behavior. I keep the bottle handy in case he gets too rambunctious but usually he's good. The only other issue I've had is him occasionally trying to peck at my lip ring lol. Its never hard and I think he is more curious than anything. Thanks for sharing!

I rehomed a rooster that became an indoor/outdoor pet, along with a basset hound. He slept with the dog in a dog house in summer. In winter he roosted on a file cabinet in the kitchen and watched TV with the family from the back of the couch.

In Asia, roosters are very popular indoor pets, very adored and cherished. Every so often we get threads from these people when their roosters are having health issues.

The thing about roosters is that they can be quite well-behaved, requiring a minimum of structural discipline, as long as they aren't exposed to hens. That can change the entire game.

Back
Top Bottom