Occasionally an egg is being eaten.

RuidosoChicas

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
We have 12 Road Island Red one year old hens. and 2 Barred Plymouth Rock hens. One of the Barred Rocks lay a very large, very thin shelled whitish egg. All the other eggs are moderate in size for young RIR hens, very steady producers 1.5 eggs per day. Only a slight slow down this winter.

In the past we have found one large white egg with a chip but unbroken. Now twice we have found a dampish box with everything gone. no egg, no shell, no yolk, nothing.

1. How can we help this hen (which ever one it is of the Barred Rocks) to lay harder eggs.!!
Everyone else is laying very nice eggs. consistent size and very hard shell. They receive lots of fresh greens daily, layena, scratch, oyster shell, and some smaller grit. They are all eating very well, altho they seem bony when you pick them up. (just young?) Could they need more protein than in the layena and thus are eating an egg occasionally? They are pretty much vegetarian chickens, not caged but restricted this winter. Would they benefit from cat food crumbles,,,higher protein. ????

2. We were told we would have to find the culprit Hen (RIR or Barred Rock) and kill her!!!
Eeeek. Are there other options. These girls are pets.

3. Is it possible we don't have enough laying boxes. we have 4 and they frequently just use the 2 or 3 favorite boxes. Altho no different that we can see.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

My first instinct says oyster shell. i have had plenty of chickens do this my best fix has always been oyster shell unless its her first few eggs that just seems to be normal for my birds. second id try the protein i dont know the percentage in your feed but i use 16% layer mash and throw out sunflower seeds every morning as a boost. HOPE THIS HELPS

Another thought.

I have one of my 2 Barred Rocks that always has messy tail feathers. I think this is the one laying the soft shell eggs. Could she be having another problems. Digestive?

We have increased the nighttime portion of oyster shell, scratch and cat food (protein).

Do hens sometimes have digestive problems....i.e. the messy tail feathers.

i also have had problems with some egg eating so what i came up with is roll ahead egg boxes i built a six inch chanle in front of my boxes and put a hinge on the top on the in side i put 1/4 sq mess pitched to the channel now they lay the eggs the rolls forward in to the channel and they can no longer get to them good luck

Thank you. I looked on line. I will try to find an appropriate wormer for the whole troop at the feed store.

Does anyone have any suggestion of which brand and how much......Thanks.

I use wazine 34 it just goes in the water they also have pour on little more costly but effective. I simply like the wazine because you just take the water from them overnight and first thing in the morning you give them the medicated water and repeat as needed or monthly.

Back
Top Bottom