Ocellated Turkeys

Pics
how do u do that thang at the bottom of the post that is always there i cant make one

Good to see it worked with your browser setup, I was thinking maybe you're on a mobile or one of those other browsers that make anybody's help useless because they aren't seeing the same page you are.

hi I'm in 4H and came arcoss these turkeys and would love to get started raising them in this area to show and breed them. If you have any babies for sale this year or if you sell breeding pairs. If you do I can give you my email or # . Also what would be the prices both ways. Thanks Colton
Read through the thread, they are over $1200 a piece, need a controlled environment and very specialized diet. Only 4 people in the US have them.

yes, you have to remember these are native to the Yucatan so they are in a tropical part of the world year round, 40 will kill them.
and just about any bacteria common in barn yard flocks, will kill them.

coccidian, will kill them, pretty much, need to be lock and key bio secure .
These are not turkeys like people are thinking. They are a tropical wild fowl, put all the domestic comparisons out of your head.
If you let these out, they will be gone, and I couldn't let a $3000 pr of birds free range anyway even if they did stay around.

If you have a yard of chickens, turkeys, guineas, stuff like this, don't even consider getting them. They carry enough disease that doesn't bother them at all, but will kill these birds within a week or two.
there's a reason only 3 people in all of the US have them, and I think of those, Virgil is the only who can get them to produce.

Don't want to be a downer, but it's just the truth about this species of fowl.... save them for the pros that deal with extreme care exotics....
Here is some great info colton.

How many eggs do they lay a year compared to domesticated turkeys

Clutch size ranges from 8 to 15 eggs (Leopold 1948). Gonzalez et al. (1998) located 5 nests and reported an average clutch size of 8.8 ± 2.5 eggs. The incubation period is reported as 28 days (Lint 1977, Steadman et al. 1979). Hatching takes place from May to July (Steadman et al. 1979). Eggs are buff-colored with fine speckles of brown and on average weigh 47.19 g and measure 60.76 x 44.2 mm (Lint 1977).

From the Cornell link in this post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/824750/ocellated-turkeys/40#post_12841528

Somewhat fewer than domestics, on average.

Last edited:
Found a gallery with more images, probably the finest looking ocellated turkeys I've seen in this gallery.

OH Man I saw a pick and I want one, any suggestions on getting one, and can they be used as a meal

welcome-byc.gif

If you go back to page one and read through this thread you'll find your questions about them answered for the most part.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom