Octagon 20 ECO success for first time hatchers

I also ordered the Octagon 20 with turner. I have my 1st batch in now, due on 12-13. I love this incubator. All I do is refill the water channel every 3rd day. Temp. stays steady and comes right back up after opening. It is fool proof.

Biloxi1955...congrats on the babies and thanks for the great idea with the sponge for lockdown. I was wondering how to add water during lockdown if needed.

Quote:
I LOVE this unit, You need to use the deviders IMO since you turn the whole unit - When it is sitting flat you can see in well and get your readings, I would turn mine 3 times a day, I would turn it back 1 flat edge from sitting flat, when time to turn again turn it to sit flat get you readings add water ot what not and turn forward to the next flat edge, so looking at the side of the unit I used 3 of the flat spots of the shape. Only using the middle one for readings, I have shipped eggs & my eggs in it, in a stagered hatch, so far out of 20 eggs all is good aside from 1 blood ring & a clear egg. Due to go in to lock down on Sunday, at that time the ones that go to lock down will go in another unit, Should be done today .
Bestof luck & I am sure you will love the Eco 20

Last edited:
Quote:
awesome!!!!!!!!!! i just bought that incubator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I LOVE this unit, You need to use the deviders IMO since you turn the whole unit - When it is sitting flat you can see in well and get your readings, I would turn mine 3 times a day, I would turn it back 1 flat edge from sitting flat, when time to turn again turn it to sit flat get you readings add water ot what not and turn forward to the next flat edge, so looking at the side of the unit I used 3 of the flat spots of the shape. Only using the middle one for readings, I have shipped eggs & my eggs in it, in a stagered hatch, so far out of 20 eggs all is good aside from 1 blood ring & a clear egg. Due to go in to lock down on Sunday, at that time the ones that go to lock down will go in another unit, Should be done today .
Bestof luck & I am sure you will love the Eco 20

Very cool. Is this the intent of the design? or just the way you decided to do it? Is that an adequate amount of rotation?
Steve

Just an update. We ended up hatching 10/11. The one that didn't hatch looked like it wasn't very viable and didn't form much after about the first 10 days. All 10 of the new chicks are in the brooder, and drinking and eating like crazy. All healthy, no spraddle legs, bloody navels or deformities- everything great. For one of the previous posts- our temp stayed right at 100.1 for the entire hatch, according to the WalMart thermometer/hydrometer. The ECO thermometer included read just a tick over 100, so I would say it was pretty accurate. And (maybe overkill?) we had a little Dollar General Store thermometer in the tray that also stayed right at 100. We couldn't be any more satisfied. It was an easy cleanup of the incubator since we used the cardboard egg cartons and disinfecting took no time at all. No mess. Good luck to everybody else trying theirs out for the first time. Follow the directions and it almost does all the work for you!

Back
Top Bottom