October 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So I have my first 3 quitters - 2 infertile and 1 blood ring - always gonna second guess myself on that one cause there was a little dude in there, but the ring was pretty typical and there was no movement when I cracked him open. Those were all from the campines and the remaining 7 are going hard!

Pretty sure they're getting on with things a bit faster than the Orpingtons, who I mostly can't see. They were all having me say 'hello there'.

Some if the Orpingtons are so up in the air - I have 5 that are on my 'watchlist' 2 that are either slow, or have stopped without blood rings, 1 possible clear, 1 with a detached blood vessel or two that I'm not sure constitutes a bloodring and 1 with a 'black spot' that I am watching.

Anybody ever had that and it not turn out to be bacteria? It does not move with the egg contents and does not seem to have grown since I picked up on it yesterday. Only visible when candled; could it be a bloodsport that's anchored itself to the shell?

My poor orpies must have ended up having a rough ride after all... Picked out a few saddles and 'jiggly' air cells which seem to be in the process of reattaching.

A little update. It's day 18 for me, as I was removing the automatic turner earlier I noticed one of the bantams broke though the air cell! The little one externally pipped some time after that, though I'm not sure when since I was out of the house for a couple hours. Hopefully by morning I'll have a little baby fluffing up!
20210928_210741(0).jpg

Newly hatched quail question… (feeling like a noob atm :oops: ) are they similar to chickens in the length if time they can go without food after hatching?

Hatched pretty much everything else, just never quail. These eggs were a month old when they went into the incubator, so only a couple developed. Don’t want to pull this little one out until morning.

A little update. It's day 18 for me, as I was removing the automatic turner earlier I noticed one of the bantams broke though the air cell! The little one externally pipped some time after that, though I'm not sure when since I was out of the house for a couple hours. Hopefully by morning I'll have a little baby fluffing up! View attachment 2849883
How is this little one doing now? 😊

Pulled another 5 eggs today, all Orpington. One clear, 2 start-stops and 2 with tiny dead embryos (maybe day 4ish?)

There are another 2 on my watchlist where the baby wasn't apparent, but the vascular system looks good.

The remaining 5 BBS and 7 campines all popped up to say hello! I definitely think those campines are going to beat the Orpingtons to hatch. They seem to be developing so much faster.

How is this little one doing now? 😊
Unfortunately that little one didn't make it though the zip.:( I took it out when I had to open the incubator to add water. The chick seemed to have turned too far without cracking the shell, got wedged in and couldn't breathe.

In better news, so far 4 babies are out and plenty of other pips and zips are happening! It looks like three bantam cochins and one standard with clean feet.

Unfortunately that little one didn't make it though the zip.:( I took it out when I had to open the incubator to add water. The chick seemed to have turned too far without cracking the shell, got wedged in and couldn't breathe.

In better news, so far 4 babies are out and plenty of other pips and zips are happening! It looks like three bantam cochins and one standard with clean feet.
Sorry you lost this one.
Congrats on the others!😊

Back
Top Bottom