October 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Can't you give her some eggs to hatch now? Transfer some over to her so she has just 1 week till hatch? It really is so cute to watch mother hen care for her chicks 😍
Oh I know, we've done it twice before; she's a great mum, but over half these babies are a flighty breed, so we are hoping them + Orpington chicks, plus hand-raised will give us super friendly babies like we got when we brooded the shavers and Silkie. When she's raised them, they've been a bit 'no-touchy'. Not the boys(rehomed), but girls were always super shy.

I was intending to sell down to 3 pullets from this hatch, but now we're likely buying a lifestyle block so I get to keep all my babies XD

Worlds longest hatch happening here. First 5 hatched day 21, then 5 more between then and today (day 23). Out of 27 eggs 🥱. I still have one thats trying, so everyone has until he is out to do somethung, otherwise its a quick candleanda toss out

Might be a busy day tomorrow for lockdown, so sorting my brooder today. Was going to try a two heat pad cave, but looking to not be getting up to temp, so gonna put a ceramic in there to raise the ambient. Ordered good feed for delivery early last week, but it's Mia, so getting a kg of the cheap local stuff as a backup.

Soo ready for these little fluff muffins to hatch out already.

Lockdown!

Everybody's weighed in and been assigned a cubby (hoping to keep tracking who's who after the hatch.

Incubator's been moved to the kitchen where I can monitor it more closely.

What temp do you guys generally hatch at?

Right now, it's running around 37c at about 65% humidity

Somebody was just wiggling too! XD

Time for chick pics
20211011_124755.jpg
20211011_124745.jpg
20211011_124621.jpg
and this is my mistery colour chick.. orpington, ment to be from full buff linesso curious if just a bebe thing I haven't hatched them before
20211011_124739.jpg

Back
Top Bottom