October Hatch-a-long 2022🎃🐣🍁

Pics
Unfortunately I don't think the eggs were fertile under my broody 😢 I'm not sure if she kept leaving the nest too so they may have gotten too cold anyway. Some felt cold when I candled them.
I so badly want to hatch my fluffy's eggs 😭 hopefully my next broody will have success!
So sorry.🙁 :hugs

So today is “lock down“ for the first set of eggs, DAY 17.
11 eggs have made it this far, out of 16 started.

Second set are on DAY 10.
12 still look good. Only one EQ so far. In this set is one additional egg that was started a day later.

DAY 4 for the shipped eggs and pulled 4 obvious clears. 12 remaining.🙂
32A6D7FC-04AF-40B3-80F4-E5B1F2C37168.jpeg

I think, since I put my EE eggs on the incubator saturday, it’s been 4 solid days of incubation. That being said, I candled maybe 6 or 7 out of the 8 today and yesterday and already see little spider-shaped veins forming in all of them! Quite excited!
I might’ve shared before, but here’s the hen who laid all the EE eggs i’m incubating, she’s a beefcake-
FBF1037B-6341-4167-B095-841C5B2E2C44.jpeg

I think, since I put my EE eggs on the incubator saturday, it’s been 4 solid days of incubation. That being said, I candled maybe 6 or 7 out of the 8 today and yesterday and already see little spider-shaped veins forming in all of them! Quite excited!
I might’ve shared before, but here’s the hen who laid all the EE eggs i’m incubating, she’s a beefcake-
View attachment 3274649
We have the same hatch day! (As my shipped eggs, they were set Saturday, too).
Congrats on the good progress!😀
Your hen is beautiful.😍

I'm so, SO angry at myself--I was candling one of my cream legbar eggs when my husband called me on my phone. The sound surprised me so much that I dropped the egg and gave it a nice, lovely crack and cratered area with lots of little fragments of shell.

The membrane wasn't visibly torn/broken, although there was a tiny little bit of blood that seeped out from the center of the crater and a few little fragments of shell fell off. So I've patched up the cracks and crater with plain white candle wax, as I saw recommended, and placed it back in the incubator where it won't be rotated.

Lockdown will be tomorrow night, less than 24 hours away, so I am crossing all my fingers that, by some miracle, it will make hatch. My hopes aren't high and I'm really upset with myself, but I can at least accept that I've done what I can for it now. It happened more than four hours ago, and there was still movement when I candled it oh-so-carefully just a few minutes ago. At this point, I don't even know if I'll try to candle it again tomorrow, as I'm so scared of mis-handling it and damaging it more. Aaggghhh.

I'm so, SO angry at myself--I was candling one of my cream legbar eggs when my husband called me on my phone. The sound surprised me so much that I dropped the egg and gave it a nice, lovely crack and cratered area with lots of little fragments of shell.

The membrane wasn't visibly torn/broken, although there was a tiny little bit of blood that seeped out from the center of the crater and a few little fragments of shell fell off. So I've patched up the cracks and crater with plain white candle wax, as I saw recommended, and placed it back in the incubator where it won't be rotated.

Lockdown will be tomorrow night, less than 24 hours away, so I am crossing all my fingers that, by some miracle, it will make hatch. My hopes aren't high and I'm really upset with myself, but I can at least accept that I've done what I can for it now. It happened more than four hours ago, and there was still movement when I candled it oh-so-carefully just a few minutes ago. At this point, I don't even know if I'll try to candle it again tomorrow, as I'm so scared of mis-handling it and damaging it more. Aaggghhh.
OMGeeze I am sooo sorry! That's always one of my worst fears.
Hopefully the wax will help seal it so it can pip and hatch without any problems!
It does happen....try to not beat yourself up. You've done all you can for it now.

We have the same hatch day! (As my shipped eggs, they were set Saturday, too).
Congrats on the good progress!😀
Your hen is beautiful.😍
That’s amazing, and thank you to the eggs and the hen! She’s one of my favorite, and for mixed age and laying flock purposes, a good bird for her genes to pass on. I hope you get a good hatch rate on your eggs!

OMGeeze I am sooo sorry! That's always one of my worst fears.
Hopefully the wax will help seal it so it can pip and hatch without any problems!
It does happen....try to not beat yourself up. You've done all you can for it now.

Thank you, that's nice of you to say. I'm a master at beating myself up, but there isn't anything else to do except cross my fingers.

Don’t be so hard on yourself, I know it’s easy to blame ourselves for these things but accidents happen. All you can do is the best you can do and it sounds like you did your best to patch it up. Fortunately it is late in incubation so there’s a possibility the chick may survive. :hugs🤞🤞🤞

Back
Top Bottom