October Hatch-a-long 2022🎃🐣🍁

Pics
So the shipped eggs arrived and I unpacked them when I got home from work. Only 2 and a half days on the way. Super fresh, laid the same day they were shipped. The breeder included 4 extra and also gave me a discount.
:wee
The express shipping was the expensive part. Well worth it.😊
Breeder packed them well and the eggs are in good shape. Checked the air cells, many are a little jiggly, but none detached or bubbly.😃
I received 4 white, 4 black, 2 buff and 6 from her buff/porcelain/lemon cuckoo project pens.
Eggs are “resting” over night and I plan to have them sit upright in the incubator for the first 3 days.
Going to be interesting to see what hatches!

Candled the DAY 12 and DAY 5 eggs, pulled an early quitter from each set. Another of Lili’s (DAY 5) and one of Niko’s (DAY 12).

Now to make room for 16 unexpected eggs!🤣

Managed to get all 16 eggs upright in strategically placed, cut down cartons in my Brinsea incubator.
Made room by consolidating my other two sets in the NR 360.
Plan is to let the new eggs sit undisturbed today and then start gentle turning from tomorrow. Will leave them upright and hand turn for three days and then set them on their side to incubate as usual. After much research and trial and error I have found no real difference between having shipped eggs incubate upright or just having them lay on their sides after the first 3 days. Also frequent, early turning is important. This of course excludes any that are out right detached. So far I don’t see any.😊
FB83D4CF-EE06-45FC-8348-2E8B8E5F446F.jpeg

My easter egger hen i’m planning to hatch eggs from hasn’t laid in two days, I think due to the heat outside. I’m thinking if she doesn’t lay another egg by tonight, i’ll go ahead and put her 8 I have saved on the incubator, just so they aren’t sitting out for a while while I wait for more eggs. So I may just have an incubation starting tonight.

My easter egger hen i’m planning to hatch eggs from hasn’t laid in two days, I think due to the heat outside. I’m thinking if she doesn’t lay another egg by tonight, i’ll go ahead and put her 8 I have saved on the incubator, just so they aren’t sitting out for a while while I wait for more eggs. So I may just have an incubation starting tonight.
She’s failed me😔Three consecutive days without eggs so I went ahead and put the 8 on the incubator. She’s living her best life right now. This is my second time incubating eggs, and i’m doing a dry hatch, leaving humidity low until lockdown(I believe that is the term).
4E71B387-A3F6-47D1-B3D9-45FBA493BB1C.jpeg

She’s failed me😔Three consecutive days without eggs so I went ahead and put the 8 on the incubator. She’s living her best life right now. This is my second time incubating eggs, and i’m doing a dry hatch, leaving humidity low until lockdown(I believe that is the term).View attachment 3270765
Sorry your broody failed you. 🙁
I dry incubate and I find I really like this method. Recommend to either mark the air cells or weigh the eggs so you can monitor your humidity and see if it needs to be raised or lowered. My humidity runs anywhere between 25 and 45% during incubation. I do however add water at lock down to achieve a humidity around 60-70%.
Nice egg color BTW. Good luck!😊

2 buff and 6 from her buff/porcelain/lemon cuckoo project pens.
Ah these colors!!! I have tried so many times and yet to get any!!! From either my Silkie or Satin hatches!
So I'm joining in on the fun with yall but going bantam cochins baby!
Surely to goodness since I'm on the hunt for a good looking boy this time I'll get 1 out of 12 shipped eggs! Should be here later this week!
And once again...sooo much for me not hatching anymore til 2023!

Here's the potential colors!!!
Blue/Black/Chocolate mottle smooth and frizzle,
Porcelain/Mille,
Calico/Mille,
Lavender/Black splits smooth and frizzle,
Blue/Black/Splash smooth and frizzle,
Blue calico/mille and chocolate mottle,
Black/Chocolate smooth and frizzle

Last edited:
Ah these colors!!! I have tried so many times and yet to get any!!! From either my Silkie or Satin hatches!
So I'm joining in on the fun with yall but going bantam cochins baby!
Surely to goodness since I'm on the hunt for a good looking boy this time I'll get 1 out of 12 shipped eggs! Should be here later this week!
And once again...sooo much for me not hatching anymore til 2023!

Here's the potential colors!!!
Blue/Black/Chocolate mottle smooth and frizzle,
Porcelain/Mille,
Calico/Mille,
Lavender/Black splits smooth and frizzle,
Blue/Black/Splash smooth and frizzle,
Blue calico/mille and chocolate mottle,
Black/Chocolate smooth and frizzle
Welcome!❤️
So excited you are joining in!😀
Bantam Cochin chicks are so cute and what a lovely mix of colors you have potential of hatching.😊
I told my family I wasn’t hatching any more eggs for awhile either, but somehow I have a total of 39 eggs brewing currently.🤣

Hi! Is it too late to join? I have babies due to hatch next Tuesday October 3rd if all goes well. I got shipped Cochin Bantum eggs that can be a variety of super fun colors!! I had a couple of yolkers at 10 days, but most are developing - so far so good! I'm doing a trial - the ones with attached air sacs will go into a separate incubator, laying flat, and the ones with detached air sacs will stay upright in their cartons through lockdown. Fingers crossed a few make it! :)

Back
Top Bottom