October Hatch-a-long 2022🎃🐣🍁

Pics
OMGeeze they are so stinkin adorable!!! I LUV the blue paints!!! So are they more creamy than white paints? Or just down feathers look creamy and they'll be white with the blue spots?
Thanks! 😊 They will feather in white with the blue spots. These dominant whites are quite yellow at hatch.
Photo from a previous hatch last year demonstrating how yellow they can look.😊
AB23D91D-40DF-4C37-9C6A-C32DA72F91F6.jpeg

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
DAY 3 and the shipped eggs get to go on their sides now. Did a quick candle and only see development in about 5 or 6 of them I think. I am finding that the yolk is at the top of the egg and not sitting nicely in the center like it’s supposed to in many of them. I will recheck DAY 7 and toss any clears and non-developers. Most of the air cells have stabilized, a few are still jiggly but in they go.🤞
D8043ADD-AF23-4D35-8D1F-268D41F9CE2B.jpeg

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Update, candled again here about six hours after the last one. Didn’t make sense I couldn’t see better development, though it could as everyone knows shipped eggs are a gamble.
Well I was excited to see that 10 out of the 16 eggs are showing clear development.
This is promising as this is much better than my last shipped egg adventure about 2 years ago. I feel I can allow myself to be excited now!!
:wee :wee:wee
93044C31-7CBC-4796-A0D3-2A0DCF7047DC.jpeg

Update, candled again here about six hours after the last one. Didn’t make sense I couldn’t see better development, though it could as everyone knows shipped eggs are a gamble.
Well I was excited to see that 10 out of the 16 eggs are showing clear development.
This is promising as this is much better than my last shipped egg adventure about 2 years ago. I feel I can allow myself to be excited now!!
:wee :wee:wee

Yay, I'm excited for you! I've never done shipped eggs before, but I feel like I've read enough horror stories about them to avoid them. But this kind of thing gives me hope if I ever do have to have them shipped in the future!

I candled a few of my remaining 14 just to check development and see how they're doing, as they're my first "proper" batch of incubated eggs. It's amazing to see them moving around. In one egg, I could see the biggest vein pulsing like a tiny little heartbeat. Just a few more days until lockdown, and I'm so very excited for baby chicks!

I also candled today -- day 9.

I pulled 3 clears.

Saw that one that I'd designated "uncertain" was not only developing but moving around. (Why I'm adopting the policy of not tossing an egg until it's failed 2 successive candlings).

I have 3 uncertains from this candling.

So that's 18 good-for-sure eggs right now. Quite a few of them had chicks visibly moving.

Yay, I'm excited for you! I've never done shipped eggs before, but I feel like I've read enough horror stories about them to avoid them. But this kind of thing gives me hope if I ever do have to have them shipped in the future!

I candled a few of my remaining 14 just to check development and see how they're doing, as they're my first "proper" batch of incubated eggs. It's amazing to see them moving around. In one egg, I could see the biggest vein pulsing like a tiny little heartbeat. Just a few more days until lockdown, and I'm so very excited for baby chicks!
Congrats! I know it’s so exciting when you see them wiggling around in there and you can see their heart beating and their eyeballs and everything! It’s like an ultrasound for chicks!🤣❤️

Welcome!🥰
So exciting!😀
Are they all eggs from your flock?
Yes they are! This is probably my last hatch for the season as I hatch and sell locally. That is If I can avoid not hatching and the weather permits it.😂
If I have a broody I may consider it but I don't like the idea of little fluffies in cold weather!

Back
Top Bottom