October Hatch-a-long 2022🎃🐣🍁

Pics
The first one hatched about 10 minutes ago! And it was not any of the four that had pipped last night. The four that pipped are all closing in on 24 hours now, so I'm hoping all the cheeps from their buddy will encourage them.

Attachments

• firstchick.jpeg
    firstchick.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 5
Look at how cute they are! Fingers crossed for lots more out today.

I managed to get to sleep last night and woke up to lots more pips! I don't think the poor guy in the cracked shell is going to make it; he's one of the ones that hasn't pipped.

But 11 of the 14 have pipped, so I'm pleased enough. It's just the cracked egg, the smallest of the little cream legbar eggs, and one of the two brown "barnyard cross" eating eggs that aren't showing a pip yet. Lots of peeping and some rocking from the incubator as well.
He may still dont give up on emmm

Last edited:
How far along do you all think my 4eggs are ? We have it set for 5 more days they are chickens it’s just we don’t exactly know…… we had the mishap situation n got them From our broody who has proudly taken another 4 …… and jumped off these after 5 days. The last picture seems to be further along…….. it is in a darker brown egg tho….what about lockdown is it ok to do in two days ?
Agree with @ChickenCanoe on the other thread that these embryos are in different states of development. The last one may be at day 17/18 the others quite a bit younger.
Problem is going to be with the higher humidity you need for lockdown. You can split the difference and wait until you see the first pip before adding water. Mark the oldest egg and keep a close eye on it. Good luck.😊

I have a Brahma that has been sitting for a couple days on rocks, haha yep! I am on the fence about letting her hatch some as we are nearing cold weather and weaning time will be right around Christmas. But I think I might set 4-6 just to let her hatch some. I just hatched 6 chicks at the end of July but who doesn't love babies ;) if I set tomorrow (when I can get eggs) hatch date would be 10/23. Wish me luck! She definitely isn't top hen or bottom but she hopefully will be a good mom. Anyone have good luck with Brahmas?
Welcome!🥰
Good luck with your broody!😊

Agree with @ChickenCanoe on the other thread that these embryos are in different states of development. The last one may be at day 17/18 the others quite a bit younger.
Problem is going to be with the higher humidity you need for lockdown. You can split the difference and wait until you see the first pip before adding water. Mark the oldest egg and keep a close eye on it. Good luck.😊
It’s sugar nice egg the only dark brown one. R u guys thinking I should bust out the other incubator and separate them? Mark this one for lock down tomorrow and the rest 3days later ?

Tonight will be 72 hours for these lil jiggly and saddled shipped cochin eggs...I've done lower humidity and left them standing without any movement in hopes the aircells will calm down some.
Would yall candle tonight or just begin the rotating and wait few more days?
There are as many opinions and methods to incubate shipped eggs as there are members on BYC. Do what has worked for you. I personally would candle them for early signs of development and get them in the turner. All studies and info I have read stresses the importance of early turning.😊

It’s sugar nice egg the only dark brown one. R u guys thinking I should bust out the other incubator and separate them? Mark this one for lock down tomorrow and the rest 3days later ?
If you have another incubator you can use one as a hatcher and place the eggs in there as they reach DAY 19 development
(sgnificant drawdown).😊

Back
Top Bottom