October Hatch-a-long 2022🎃🐣🍁

Pics
First two hatched overnight. Sadly looks like the first to pip didnt progress.
The kids have named them Chocolate and Caramel.
20221003_121253.jpg 20221003_121332.jpg

Yikes. Had an incident where the incubator temperature dropped for a couple hours due to improper positioning of the lid.

Everything I've read about short-term temperature drops is saying that they *should* be OK at this stage, but I'm nervous.
This happened to me in my first hatch and still did very well.
Hopefully yours will too

Just broke the news to DH bout more eggs in the way...he said I have a serious problem 😳 🙃

Last edited:
On Friday, I was in a rush for time and got my broodies off their nests and then left to get my son to the bus stop. He missed the bus and so I had to drive him to school. By the time I got home, I’d forgotten about checking to make sure everyone got back in their nest and ate some lunch. I remembered to go and check after that, and found that one broody was in a nesting box, her nest pulled apart (probably by another hen who came in to scratch through the straw), and the egg off to the side and cool to touch. I rebuilt the nest and got her back on it.

I’m really hoping that it didn’t hurt the chick to be rolled out of the nest and to cool down like that. The egg was left for about an hour and was on day 16. 😬

Just broke the news to DH bout more eggs in the way...he said I have a serious problem 😳 🙃
My husband doesn’t even ask anymore… I think he’s given up on me.🤣
His only requirement is not to have the birds in the house. Chicks are allowed to be in the house for one week then any unsold or keepers are moved to the outside brooder. Incubators are in my home office.😊

Yikes. Had an incident where the incubator temperature dropped for a couple hours due to improper positioning of the lid.

Everything I've read about short-term temperature drops is saying that they *should* be OK at this stage, but I'm nervous.
It is nerve-racking, I know. Agree with @Gammas Bearded Babies they should be fine.😊

On Friday, I was in a rush for time and got my broodies off their nests and then left to get my son to the bus stop. He missed the bus and so I had to drive him to school. By the time I got home, I’d forgotten about checking to make sure everyone got back in their nest and ate some lunch. I remembered to go and check after that, and found that one broody was in a nesting box, her nest pulled apart (probably by another hen who came in to scratch through the straw), and the egg off to the side and cool to touch. I rebuilt the nest and got her back on it.

I’m really hoping that it didn’t hurt the chick to be rolled out of the nest and to cool down like that. The egg was left for about an hour and was on day 16. 😬
Should be ok. 😊
Broodies can stay off the nest often for about an hour or more.

Back
Top Bottom