October Hatch-a-long 2022🎃🐣🍁

Pics
Maybe you could just take her out and watch her to make sure she's eating and drinking. Then make sure she goes back on the nest. I've heard of a few broodies that have done this and you just have to take them off to get what they need to do done.🙂
Agreed! When I have a broody that I can’t break, which is most of the Silkies, I’ll take them off the nest twice a day to make sure they eat drink and dust bathe.
I think the last three days prior to when the eggs are due to hatch, you are not supposed to take her off of the nest, but I am by no means an expert in broodies!🤣
I personally would not add any other chickens to her space.

Agreed! When I have a broody that I can’t break, which is most of the Silkies, I’ll take them off the nest twice a day to make sure they eat drink and dust bathe.
I think the last three days prior to when the eggs are due to hatch, you are not supposed to take her off of the nest, but I am by no means an expert in broodies!🤣
same, my broody in July wouldn't leave at all-ever. I took her off when I opened up the coop in the morning and then again mid afternoon so she could get settled before roosting time. she did her thing every time.

The broody I have now is the same way, won't budge an inch-just spins around in her nesting box and hasn't pooped in there yet.

11/13 is an excellent hatch rate.🥰
Fingers crossed for your little one with the yolk issue. 🤞

That really is a great hatch!
I'm so sorry the lil one didn't make it though.
And hopefully the eager pullet will absorb and do just fine!

Thank you both so much! It was a fun first go (as an adult, my parents would've done hatches back when I was young), and my husband enjoyed it a lot. The timing/rate of hatch was very interesting. The first chick hatched at about 4:00 pm on the day, and then we didn't get another one until about 11:00 pm--and got six in three hours. It was like popcorn! I'm already plotting the next eggs I want to get (some lavender British Araucanas or some Silver-Laced Wyandottes), though that might have to wait until spring.

Unfortunately, the little girl with the yolk issue didn't make it. She absorbed all the yolk and the mass that was left (umbilical cord?) had dried up, but she died a few hours after I put her in the brooder. I'm shockingly at peace with it compared to the little one with the cracked shell; I gave her the best chance I could, and it was just an issue she couldn't get over.

So that's it for my posts on this thread, I guess, except I'll try to nab a few photos of the cuties tomorrow! Four girls and four boys left among the cream legbars, plus the two barnyard crosses.

Thank you both so much! It was a fun first go (as an adult, my parents would've done hatches back when I was young), and my husband enjoyed it a lot. The timing/rate of hatch was very interesting. The first chick hatched at about 4:00 pm on the day, and then we didn't get another one until about 11:00 pm--and got six in three hours. It was like popcorn! I'm already plotting the next eggs I want to get (some lavender British Araucanas or some Silver-Laced Wyandottes), though that might have to wait until spring.

Unfortunately, the little girl with the yolk issue didn't make it. She absorbed all the yolk and the mass that was left (umbilical cord?) had dried up, but she died a few hours after I put her in the brooder. I'm shockingly at peace with it compared to the little one with the cracked shell; I gave her the best chance I could, and it was just an issue she couldn't get over.

So that's it for my posts on this thread, I guess, except I'll try to nab a few photos of the cuties tomorrow! Four girls and four boys left among the cream legbars, plus the two barnyard crosses.
Sorry you lost the little one. :hugs I lost one this morning, too. Was weak and never really opened it's eyes. Was kept warm and comfortable and died in it's sleep, thankfully.
It is part of hatching and it also happens that a chick needs to be culled to end it's suffering.
I am glad you had a good experience overall and that you could enjoy the experience as a family. Looking forward to seeing photos.❤️

I picked her up and set her outside the nest.. She just sat there.. gave her water off my finger and held up a hand of feed which she ate some of.. She finally got up, but just to move back in to the nest to sit again.. Candled the eggs while she was out.. All looking good today (day 15). May have to repeat the process again today.

Sorry you lost the little one. :hugs I lost one this morning, too. Was weak and never really opened it's eyes. Was kept warm and comfortable and died in it's sleep, thankfully.
It is part of hatching and it also happens that a chick needs to be culled to end it's suffering.
I am glad you had a good experience overall and that you could enjoy the experience as a family. Looking forward to seeing photos.❤️

I'm so sorry yours passed, but glad it had a peaceful end. I'm sure there's an argument to be made for culling straight away, but I prefer to give them a chance, if there is a chance.

Fingers crossed for the rest of your first group to do well!

Afternoon/evening check showed no new pips but the pipped chick has made some on its egg. Caramel, the broody with the pipped egg apparently stole an egg from another broody while she was up (two lovely stinky broody poops in the area that weren’t there this morning) because Caramel had a second egg under her and Sophia was making grumpy broody sounds when I came in. I took the stolen egg and put it back on the nest, rolling my eyes at the silly broody drama. Hopefully the chick is none the worse for wear for having been stolen three times now. 🙄

Attachments

• 5D67DD9C-FF08-461E-B7BA-15F39788475A.jpeg
    5D67DD9C-FF08-461E-B7BA-15F39788475A.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 2
DAY 10 for the 9 remaining shipped eggs, all looking great. All air cells have stabilized and none are saddled.
That is awesome!!! 1 of the ones I have that is good still is saddled...
Are you incubating them upright or laying down?

@Solanacae sounds like your broody drama isn't too different from my incubator drama...I have 2 of the exact same incubators. The first Kebonnixs I bought a year ago had worked beautifully! Hence I bought a 2nd one!
This one is not holding the 99.5 temp anymore at all....so today is
Day 5 for my bantam cochins
i decided to candle and put em all back into the first incubator that is tried and true.
if the 15 eggs only 3 look great. Im disappointed...but it happens with shipped eggs. I am glad I went ahead and pulled the 3 eggs from the second incubator as 1 of those 3 is one of the ones going strong!
I left them all in for now but will re-check them ll in a few days and begin eliminating BRs and questionables.

That is awesome!!! 1 of the ones I have that is good still is saddled...
Are you incubating them upright or laying down?
Let sit for 12 hours upright then placed in incubator upright for 3 days, turning gently from side to side every few hours. On there sides since then. 😊
3 of the ones that were super jiggly from the get go did not progress, though 3 of them that were slightly saddled and jiggly stabilized and are doing fine. Can't even tell that there ever was a problem. I will let them hatch on there sides, too. If I had any that were saddled, I would hatch them upright.

Back
Top Bottom