October Hatch-a-long 2022🎃🐣🍁

Pics
It has started!!! I’m up to six now!!! 🥰

They are sorted into heritage bags (that’s the yellow mesh) so I can keep them straight and band the ones I need to.

View attachment 3281271
Congrats on the chicks hatching so far!😍
I have seen this netting used before. But I wonder if the babies may get their feet caught up in the netting?🤔
I use embroidery cards tied together with small zip ties to cage off eggs. I guess it depends on the kind of incubator you have what works best.😊

Congrats on the chicks hatching so far!😍
I have seen this netting used before. But I wonder if the babies may get their feet caught up in the netting?🤔
I use embroidery cards tied together with small zip ties to cage off eggs. I guess it depends on the kind of incubator you have what works best.😊
So I'm moving them out of the incubator a bit sooner so they don't get caught up. So far, so good *knocks on wood*

Let sit for 12 hours upright then placed in incubator upright for 3 days, turning gently from side to side every few hours. On there sides since then. 😊
3 of the ones that were super jiggly from the get go did not progress, though 3 of them that were slightly saddled and jiggly stabilized and are doing fine. Can't even tell that there ever was a problem. I will let them hatch on there sides, too. If I had any that were saddled, I would hatch them upright.
So what I did was set them bottom end up and let them "settle" for a couple of hours (to get them room temp), then into the incubator they went! I set them bottom end up in plastic egg crates and tilted them back and forth to turn them. I had a few with detached air sacs, but by the time lockdown came, everyone left was stabilized. I do have some with saddled air sacs - we'll see how those fare. But so far - 6 little ones, and more pipping!!

They are sorted into heritage bags (that’s the yellow mesh) so I can keep them straight and band the ones I need to.

That's exactly what I've wondered about those bags. :D

Question, with my broody hatching at the end of Oct and the chicks not being fully feathered until mid Dec, will I need a heat source for her/them? I wouldn't think so, but dont know for sure. We could get freezing cold and snow by then but the run will be plastics off and the coop will have some of the vents closed during the day when the pop up door is open to eliminate the whirlwind that happens in the winter.

I feel like it has been forever but only on day 3! Will candle on Friday, hopefully I see something. Eggs are from same flock as my July hatch, I am farm sitting there this week so if eggs aren't developing I can grab more Friday ;)

I HAVE BABIES!! Three hatched last night and the last egg is pipped! I'm so happy!

@Gammas Bearded Babies: Sorry you’ve had problems with your incubators! Good thing you have more than one! My broody custody battle continues, unfortunately. This morning the little black chick was under the wrong broody, apparently having hatched underneath her overnight. I’ve tried twice now to put the chick back under the mama that incubated the egg the whole time (not including the couple of times it got stolen) but I don’t know what to do if I can’t get it to stay with her. I moved her to a different spot, not right next to the gal that keeps taking the chick, so hopefully that solves the problem. My neighbor is getting some chicks in the mail tomorrow or Friday, so I guess I could ask her if I can raise a couple for her if relocating the nest doesn’t work? This is the first time I’ve had this problem so not quite sure what to do. The hen stealing the chick is #2 in the pecking order and the one that’s getting stolen from is near the bottom and not putting up much of a fight, I don’t think.

Attachments

• 9FE0220B-ADC5-4410-ADFC-85693560F5DE.jpeg
    9FE0220B-ADC5-4410-ADFC-85693560F5DE.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 325EF70F-420A-46C4-95B8-560E0ACB1D6B.jpeg
    325EF70F-420A-46C4-95B8-560E0ACB1D6B.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 4
  • 86FF2155-AB01-4FED-9B68-82D71D485100.jpeg
    86FF2155-AB01-4FED-9B68-82D71D485100.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 4
  • FEC42481-A6E6-44A2-B390-58E49A3BFC37.jpeg
    FEC42481-A6E6-44A2-B390-58E49A3BFC37.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 054C3F14-3997-492B-B53C-8E41D14FF532.jpeg
    054C3F14-3997-492B-B53C-8E41D14FF532.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2C7C7B8B-8A9E-406B-BD00-088C5A38BCE4.jpeg
    2C7C7B8B-8A9E-406B-BD00-088C5A38BCE4.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 4
I HAVE BABIES!! Three hatched last night and the last egg is pipped! I'm so happy!

@Gammas Bearded Babies: Sorry you’ve had problems with your incubators! Good thing you have more than one! My broody custody battle continues, unfortunately. This morning the little black chick was under the wrong broody, apparently having hatched underneath her overnight. I’ve tried twice now to put the chick back under the mama that incubated the egg the whole time (not including the couple of times it got stolen) but I don’t know what to do if I can’t get it to stay with her. I moved her to a different spot, not right next to the gal that keeps taking the chick, so hopefully that solves the problem. My neighbor is getting some chicks in the mail tomorrow or Friday, so I guess I could ask her if I can raise a couple for her if relocating the nest doesn’t work? This is the first time I’ve had this problem so not quite sure what to do. The hen stealing the chick is #2 in the pecking order and the one that’s getting stolen from is near the bottom and not putting up much of a fight, I don’t think.
Awe they are all so cute!!!
I've ordered a Brinsea but now I'm wondering how long it will take to get here!

Congrats!😍
Maybe you need to keep them separate (but still in view of the flock) for a week or two so babies can bond with their mama?

Back
Top Bottom