October Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ChickyChickens, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Lowri12

Lowri12 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    Wales, UK
    I'm on day 18 of my hatch and keeping the humidity above 60% for the last few hours is proving very difficult. I was wondering if someone could help me by telling me if it's ok to open the bator to add a few wet sponges at this stage or is it too late?

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Nope, not to late... Typically 60-65%% is right where most folks want it tho

Me, I am a rebel, I don't even measure the humidity in the incubator lol

3. Lowri12

Sep 17, 2014
    Wales, UK
    Thank you very much! I'll have to move the eggs to put the sponges in is that still ok?

4. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Should be fine [​IMG]

its just now day 18 so no big deal, I once started lockdown, got all the eggs in and then remembered I forgot to add the shelf liner...took them all back out and redid it.. lol

5. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop

I get the eye roll frequently when it comes to poultry. Lol

YAY for the babies!!!

6. Lowri12

Sep 17, 2014
    Wales, UK
    Lol, hopefully it'll be fine then! Just added the sponges and it's so much better already, thanks! :)

7. Rainier

Rainier Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    Thurston County, WA
    Day four eggs (now on day 6). Most of them have veins that are visible. I'll candle again on day 7 and mark air cells.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our RIR (hatcery chicks) all lay pretty dark eggs and seeing "in" them is difficult. The above are from our Australorp and mutts that look like Australorp. The shells are lighter and easy to see "in".

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  8. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    My daughter is in a perpetual state of eye roll ed ness [​IMG]

9. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I have my last batch of eggs in for the year... you know, except for the ones my Serama hen is still laying... 6 Seramas and 6 Silkie eggs!!

All of these months of seeing adorable Silkie babies hatch in the hatch-a-longs... I had to have some! They could be lavender, silver, silver showgirl, paint, buff or black. So excited!! My first 7 Seramas were from her and they are gorgeous! I thought I might get a couple Silkie eggs, but then she gave me six!! I have 3 more from my frizzle hen.
    They should be hatching around the 25th![​IMG]

10. MrsFitzDarcy

MrsFitzDarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Tucson, AZ

Ooops, no shelf liner in mine and I'm at Day 20. Still no pips. I have them in an egg flat, bottoms up. Should I check to see if any are popping at the wrong end?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by