October-hatch-along 2019

Pics
@igorsMistress you said you take chicks out once they're fluffed and dry, correct? I know some of mine are going to hatch later so if some hatch out today I want to put them in the brooder once they're ready.
But for a beginner like you, I would wait until there are no pips at the moment to get them out. Because opening that lid with pips already goin on, that is a big cause of shrinkwrap, chicks can survive and thrive for 3 full days without food or water, they still have the yolk they can feed on.

I have an external pip

IMG_20191030_071541.jpg

But for a beginner like you, I would wait until there are no pips at the moment to get them out. Because opening that lid with pips already goin on, that is a big cause of shrinkwrap, chicks can survive and thrive for 3 full days without food or water, they still have the yolk they can feed on.
I'll figure it out once that time comes. I have a lot of eggs in the bator and not much room for chicks :lau it can probably handle 3 after that they'll be running on eggshells... Literally

I disagree. I did an eggtopsy and chicks were shrink wrapped and never pipped. People think it's from opening the bator with pips but it's more likely caused by eggs that are too porous for the conditions you're hatching in. All you can do is your best to find a happy medium for best results.

I disagree. I did an eggtopsy and chicks were shrink wrapped and never pipped. People think it's from opening the bator with pips but it's more likely caused by eggs that are too porous for the conditions you're hatching in. All you can do is your best to find a happy medium for best results.
Thank you both for your opinions, I'll weigh my options when the time comes. I have 4 external pips right now and lots of peeps!

Back
Top Bottom