October-hatch-along 2019

I disagree. I did an eggtopsy and chicks were shrink wrapped and never pipped. People think it's from opening the bator with pips but it's more likely caused by eggs that are too porous for the conditions you're hatching in. All you can do is your best to find a happy medium for best results.
I always do an eggtopsy and I never had shrink wrapped without an external pip. Now my last hatch all that did not hatch had neither external nor internal pip and they were not shrink wrapped. I always wonder why these do not hatch- live and moving at Lockdown but no pips and no hatch.

Sorry to hear that @FortCluck excited for those that are hatching but
I'm so sorry you lost the twins, at least you gave them a fighting chance. :hugs

Glad to hear the others are progressing well!
Here are the 2 that have hatched. Both have been trouble. One didn't absorb the yolk all the way and the other was still attached to it's umbilical cord.

Hopefully the others are fine when they hatch. Today has been :barnie

IMG_20191030_184820.jpg

IMG_20191030_181935.jpg

Here are the 2 that have hatched. Both have been trouble. One didn't absorb the yolk all the way and the other was still attached to it's umbilical cord.

Hopefully the others are fine when they hatch. Today has been :barnie

View attachment 1948171

View attachment 1948172

Aww what little cuties, I'm sorry you've run into some challenges, I hope the others won't give you any more trouble! :fl

I don't think it is very uncommon for the cord to be attached still and shouldn't be too big an issue (my little guys hatch with it still attached often enough). If the cord doesn't break on its own I usually just snip it about an inch or so away from the navel and dip the end in betadine (I also use betadine on the navel if I get one hatching with a little bleeding). I hope the little one who hatched with the yolk unabsorbed does ok and absorbs it soon!

Well, the umbilical cord is not an issue, it falls off on its own
I trimmed it a bit because it was hanging down and getting caught, I didn't want it to do damage. That one is doing great. The little yellow one is the one who didn't absorb the yolk all the way so I put it in a bowl...

I'm so exhausted from all this. I've never been so emotionally drained :th

Husband woke me up out of a dead sleep with a massive smile. I ran to the bator and there are 8 chicks running around :weeNone of them have issues like the first 2 that hatched and look perfectly amazing! I can't wait till the morning to get them all out and put them in the brooder. It looks like most are black and only 1 yellow one so far.

Back
Top Bottom