October hatch "Grow-a-long"šŸ„

Little Orphan Annie is 3 weeks old now, and still alone :-( Iā€™m hoping to have a friend or two for her next week! Sheā€™s doing fine though! ā¤ļø
She is so cute!šŸ„°
Being an only chick for awhile is going to make her super friendly though.šŸ˜Š
Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Chicks are 5 weeks, time went so fast. I know I have 1 girl and 1 boy, the 3rd I am on the fence with the 3rd son just waiting another week or so.

So strange too mama hens hatch mate (they look exactly the same) has stepped in to help raise them. She calls them for food, they are both sleeping on the coop floor with babies, both go on alert, everything. The two mamas have been inseparable since day one. It is crazy, she didn't start until they were about 3 weeks old so babies didn't get super confused, it is like she knew when she could step in and help.
Chickens are just amazing when you take the time to observe their behaviors. So sweet.šŸ„°

4 week old Aussie girls spending some time on the grass. Some of their future flock mates checking them out!
Yes I know this enclosure is not safe, I stay out with them when theyā€™re in it.šŸ˜Š

9E950E57-1BBF-407C-AD74-41B3CF20A486.jpeg

31288C0D-5F19-4619-B851-FB0F9ED73C7C.jpeg

I had a mass escape when the wind blew the door open before I could turn around and latch it. Once Rameses popped out everyone followed, including the babies.

Integration is going very well, with the little ones mingling freely -- to the point of joining their seniors in getting under my feet when I tried to take the turkey pickings out after making soup.

1127221710.jpg

1127221710a.jpg
1127221732.jpg

1127221732a.jpg

1127221732b.jpg

One little one is even precociously roosting with the adults.

1127221733.jpg

1127221733a.jpg

:eek:

Forgot completely, but I got photos of one of my chicks today. This is the biggest cockerel out of the bunch so far, by ā€œbiggestā€ i mean widest and longest. He doesnā€™t win out in height.
Heā€™s very colorful, I like the redness on top of his patterning, even if he isnā€™t barred.
Heā€™s also very well-behaved so far, in comparison the red barred cockerel has been trying to fight my hands :(
I have a bunch of boys from this hatch, but I still feel really happy to have hatched them. Really tells me all what I can get from their parents, and most are sweet birds at this age.
4F61EACF-DC6F-47CD-B66A-738EEF0309F6.jpeg
AADA5460-4B81-4E0C-A634-DFBE4E6CD56C.jpeg

I've had an inquiry about buying chicks so I've got the 7 crossbred chicks in a pet carrier overnight to be carefully evaluated in the morning so that I know how many are male and how many female.
Great news! Hope you sell all the ones you are wanting to sell.šŸ˜Š

I moved my chicks onto the ground today from their elevated brooder. Weather will only be getting down to 50 for about a week so theyā€™re off of supplementary heat! They got put in an unused cage right on the border to the emu pen, so theyā€™ll have a direct view of the monsters there. My guineas and goat were incredibly curious about the chicks.
CEF34811-CA47-44CF-B161-AA1A898F87E9.jpeg

thereā€™s an emu in the back of this photo šŸ‘†
3C14D26B-1A81-44AC-ABE2-D4C008E95A39.jpeg

Two cockerels dustbathing
336252E7-FAE2-4069-86CF-88493E51C465.jpeg

This is maybe the only semi-good quality photo I got. They seemed pretty content with the cage though.

I moved my chicks onto the ground today from their elevated brooder. Weather will only be getting down to 50 for about a week so theyā€™re off of supplementary heat! They got put in an unused cage right on the border to the emu pen, so theyā€™ll have a direct view of the monsters there. My guineas and goat were incredibly curious about the chicks. View attachment 3337456
thereā€™s an emu in the back of this photo šŸ‘†
View attachment 3337455
Two cockerels dustbathingView attachment 3337454
This is maybe the only semi-good quality photo I got. They seemed pretty content with the cage though.

They're adorable. How old are they now?

What kind is the one in the front of the last photo? The black and white one who is leaning on the feed dish.

Back
Top Bottom