October Hatching ... How many are in? I'm due to hatch on 10/17

I have 60+ silkie eggs in the Ova Easy right now from Indigo Egg. All set within days of eachother, due probably the second week of October. I am going to be drowning in silkie cuteness here! I'm in Tampa, Florida, and we don't get real seasons here, so I can feed my addiction all year! WOHOO!

I have a bator full, I think I have 37 left in there, due to hatch on October 14th. Most are BBS bantam cochins, and 4 OEGB Crele's. I ordered the BBS Cochins from another member here and they included a bonus BLRW egg, but it exploded last night.
barnie.gif
That was not a fun mess to clean up.
hit.gif

Last edited:
I got 15 Coronation Sussex due on the 13th! I really didn't want chicks in the house this year going into winter but I couldn't help myself! Plus it's always nice to have them laying by spring!

Quote:
It gave me a reason to build the bigger brooder I have been wanting! It is a 4 x 3 x 2 so I should be able to keep the first ever babies I hatch inside much longer and then move to outside brooder which is 4 x 6 x 2 with a heat lamp if needed. Why not? If I had my bator earlier I would have sat them then but I just got my bator last week. It may not be he smartest thing I have done but diffently one of the more exciting things.

Oh got my eggs today, they are sitting on my dresser as we speak the bator is sitting on 99.6 and humidity is 25% or so.

hu.gif
Should I add water and bring it up before adding eggs or add th eggs and let it adjust and then add water as needed?
hu.gif

Here's the brooder not finished yet but should be soon. I had to take it apart to get it in the door. My husband is really gonna kill me now. I made it with scraps except for the OSB and ran out of paint so will have to get more. Maybe pink as I hope to only put all girls in there and one fantastic roo. A girl can dream right!
tongue.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/53862_dsc01057.jpg

I like the Dry Incuabation Method!

I forgot! I also have "Lil Mama" my white Silky sitting on a clutch of about 6 eggs fathered by my FBCM to various Americauna and RIR...should be interesting!

I will have 35 eggs going in the bator tonight.
big_smile.png

Silkies

6 blue black splash
5 splash
two white
16 partridge
1 black lav split

2 blue cochin
2 just for fun trader joe eggs.

marathonmultiplesmom wrote:

Just curious why many of you in 4 seasons climates hatch in Oct? Doesn't it require that you keep them indoors for a long time? I always thought this was a Spring time thing? Anyway, just curious on your take why you like to set eggs in Oct. Maybe I am missing something hu i dunno!

I have a broody hatch going, so if she thinks now is a good time then it is a great time. I might add a light to the wall mounted box and I already have a ladder from the ground up to it, so you go girl

Back
Top Bottom