October Marans/Welsummer Mix Hatch-A-Long 2021

Pumperkinz

Songster
Aug 14, 2021
Upstate New York (Albany Region)
Hi all,

We decided to set 5 eggs this past week on 10/12. We set them as one of our 8 month old Black Copper Maran's passed while sleeping, and we weren't sure what happened other then she had a heart attack. Anyways we have two French Black Copper Marans eggs, and 3 Welsummer eggs. The rooster is a Wheaten Marans. I'll do progress pics probably weekly.

Attachments

• IMG_2261 (1).jpg
    IMG_2261 (1).jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hi all,

We decided to set 5 eggs this past week on 10/12. We set them as one of our 8 month old Black Copper Maran's passed while sleeping, and we weren't sure what happened other then she had a heart attack. Anyways we have two French Black Copper Marans eggs, and 3 Welsumer eggs. The rooster is a Wheaten Marans. I'll do progress pics probably weekly.
Ooh! :yesss:I love hatch alongs! Any updates?!

Ooh! :yesss:I love hatch alongs! Any updates?!
Yes all are somewhat viable so far. We are 11-12 days out now till hatch day. I'm surprised as this is my first time hatching. I can post some more pics as development happens, but it's tough with the darker egg shells to get everything in the correct lighting for the camera. But hoping that they all stay viable will be an interesting hatch :)

Yes all are somewhat viable so far. We are 11-12 days out now till hatch day. I'm surprised as this is my first time hatching. I can post some more pics as development happens, but it's tough with the darker egg shells to get everything in the correct lighting for the camera. But hoping that they all stay viable will be an interesting hatch :)
Yay! Good luck!

Tried candling more so, but the eggs being darker can't really tell if they are still developing but there is still some hope. They go into lockdown this weekend so we will see if they start pipping by the beginning of next week :).
Maran and Welsummer eggs are definitely harder to candle! Good luck! I will be tagging along.

good luck! I just gave 2 broodies 6 eggs, from a healthfood store. They will probably fight over the eggs and break them. I am getting some Turquoise eggs from Alabama next week, or the week following and will put in some of my own hens eggs, including a blue copper maran egg. We will see.

good luck! I just gave 2 broodies 6 eggs, from a healthfood store. They will probably fight over the eggs and break them. I am getting some Turquoise eggs from Alabama next week, or the week following and will put in some of my own hens eggs, including a blue copper maran egg. We will see.
Good luck! Marans are some of the best little chickens. My rooster is a pretty good dad overall. A little aggressive, but he's under a year of age so hoping next year will chill out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom