October Marans/Welsummer Mix Hatch-A-Long 2021

Three pips so far this afternoon. One Marans/Two Welsummers.

Question - I know the external pips are good to see. How quickly does the zipping occur? I know people say it can take 24 hours, but want to make sure I'm doing everything right of course. Any advice other than just watch lol.
Depends. I have had some take 30 minutes and some take 24 hours. I would say most finish zipping in 1-4 hours from the external pip to hatch.

So three still total pipped. No real zipping has occured since this morning, and it's been 6-7 hours since the initial one. When should I be worried I'm guessing be moreso worried tomorrow then today since they just started this mid morning/afternoon.
Definitely slower than usual! No problems though. I start worrying after 20 hours. By 24 hours, I will debate whether or not to assist.

Definitely slower than usual! No problems though. I start worrying after 20 hours. By 24 hours, I will debate whether or not to assist.
Cool just making sure I'm not doing anything wrong lol. #worriedchickdad. The humidity is sticking around 70-73%. Temp is running a little lower at 98.9, so maybe that's what's making them a little slow to come out of their shells :). I'll try to be patient lol. Thanks for all the help!

Cool just making sure I'm not doing anything wrong lol. #worriedchickdad. The humidity is sticking around 70-73%. Temp is running a little lower at 98.9, so maybe that's what's making them a little slow to come out of their shells :). I'll try to be patient lol. Thanks for all the help!
98.9 is fine. 70-73% is a little too high though. You do not want to drown your chicks. 70 is good. I try not to go over 70. 65-70 percent.

Good morning, Two are out and about this morning. One of each :). The welsummer is on a rampage and just cheeping/hopping around lol. All the eggs have pipped as of this morning, so I think with the peeps going on we will have more to come in a few hours. Any suggestions on how long to keep them in the incubator after hatching?
image1 (2).jpeg
image0 (4).jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning, Two are out and about this morning. One of each :). The welsummer is on a rampage and just cheeping/hopping around lol. All the eggs have pipped as of this morning, so I think with the peeps going on we will have more to come in a few hours. Any suggestions on how long to keep them in the incubator after hatching?View attachment 2885543View attachment 2885544
Just leave them in there OR you can take them out already!

Do you have a brooder set up?

Back
Top Bottom