Odd behavior - chicks 2nd night in coop

epeloquin

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western Massachusetts
Yesterday was the first day/night for our chicks (3 BR and 3 RIR) in their new coop. They are 4 1/2 weeks old and doing great. One thing I've noticed though. If one of them is out of sight of the others they begin this loud, plaintive cheep until they are reunited. Very interesting because they did not do it at home (we brooded them indoors), of course they were never more than 10 feet away from each other. They are definitely more attached to each other and less to me. I suppose things will all shake out as they become more accustomed to their new environment.

Anyone else have this experience?

I have the same thing happening with my 4 week old bantams. If i take one away from the others, or if one is out of site...then all the others will let out very very loud cheerping sounds until they are together again....I assume they are just really close to one another...they all seem to get along great, and where 1 goes, they all go
love.gif

My chicks do the same thing and they are all older. They like being together and if all of them run off to the other side of the house and one is not paying attention and is left, they will star calling the others, squak, squak, squak... trying to figure out where they are.....even if they can see them....LOL! They just like being together!

I tried to send all of our 12 into the run so I could clean their coop yesterday, one decided to stay in. I closed the door, the 11 outside ran to the door and started pecking at the door, the one inside kept walking up and down the wall that the door is on, I opened the door after only a minute or so. Btw, ours are 6 weeks old.

Not odd -- normal flock behavior. Sometimes a flock breaks into groups for hanging out -- with mine this has only been when there are different ages.

Back
Top Bottom